Grizzly cabinet saw vs new Craftsman Cabinet like saw (a little long)

I had finally deceided on the new Griz contractors saw but have been able to save enough for a better saw in the under or just at $1000 range. Anyone's thoughts on the Grizzly or the Craftsman? All of them are close to the same price, with the Griz 1023S at $795 and the other 2 models within a couple hundred more for the 1023Z. Grizzly has 3 hp motor,. Craftsman 1 3/4 hp. Griz has either the Shopfox Classic and optional rails for 49" cuts to right of blade. Craftsman has the Beisemier fence. Can anyone give a comparison between the Beisemier fence and the Shopfox Classic or the Shopfox fence? Craftsman has a small outfield table included and Griz does not. Does the fence rail at the back end of the table make it difficult to build an outfeed table on the Grizzly? I have been reading all the reviews for the last couple years posted here, and most like the Grizzly, but there has been little information about the fences Grizzly uses. Thanks for any information or experiance with either of these saws. CC

Reply to
Charles Cole

Charles Cole asks:

Check last month's Woodworker's Journal, may still be on the stands. I like the Biese a little better because back when I did that test, it was a little more cleanly made. It probably still is. But the Shopfox is one helluva fence, too.

No. Just allow for it when you design the outfeed table.

Good luck making up your mind. I've used cabinet saws, but never this particularly Grizz model. I've used the Craftsman momentarily and liked it. I should be able to pick one up Tuesday, but probably won't get it together for a week or two.

It is in the same class as the Jet and DeWalt hybrid saws, half contractor's saw, half cabinet saw, with the cast iron trunnions hung from the cabinet, instead of the table. Easier to adjust that way. The trunnions are much larger and stronger than any I've ever seen on a contractor's saw. Multi-groove pulleys and flexible belt make for extra smooth running.

Charlie Self "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." Ernest Benn

Reply to
Charlie Self

Don't know about the Crapsman - errrrr Craftsman. But I'd recommend the

220V, 3HP motor in a heartbeat. I have the 1023S and love it. The fence, Shopfox Classic, is a Biesmeyer clone and works every bit as well. I have heard from a few that the 1023Z fence doesn't always lock square, but I don't know if that's a common problem or not. In any event, the Biesmeyer-style fence meets my needs. It is very sturdy and rigid, and deflection at the end is not a problem. One, thing though, is that I didn't care for the UHMW facing they put on it, so I removed it, squared up a strip of mahogany, bolted it on, and have been happy ever since. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Grizzly. It is plenty of saw for 99% of people and comes ready to use out of the box!

Email me if you have further questions regarding the saw.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Charles -

Grizzly! While the Bies is attractive, what you need is the power, so if you have the circuit to support a larger motor, go with the 3HP... I'd also recommend a STRONG look at General or General Int'l... I have a Gen Cab saw and a GI mortiser... VERY happy with both.

HTH

Reply to
John Moorhead

Be sure to check out the posts earlier on this topic dated July 3.

I have decided to get the 22124. Sears has a no-hassle returns policy, and they are just down the street for parts and accessories (and for a refund, should it come to that).

Reply to
OldSalemWood

Hi, I just bougth the Griz 1023s, I love it. It was easy to set up. Accurate out of the box. Would highly reccommend it. Love the fence to.

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
Wilson

I've had my G1023SL for about 9 months now and really like it. Plenty of power, but then I had a Griz contractor saw before this and never bogged it down either.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

If you go with the Grizzly, I'd suggest the extra for the 5hp motor. I love mine.

Art

Charles Cole wrote:

Reply to
Art and Diane

Are you talking about the Grizzly or the Craftsman in that paragraph?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Charles: Go with the Grizzly. I have owned a 1023S for two years and it is a fine machine and a very good value. There was a time in my life when I just went to Sears if I needed a tool (30 years ago). Unfortunately, Sears kind of turned their back on their loyal following - the quality just isn't there for the money. I think it speaks volumes that they are recently marketing JET equipment.

Regarding the ShopFox Classic fence it is solid and smooth. WOOD magazine did a product comparison on fences on a recent issue and the Classic compared very well with the Beismeirer. Their only real downer was it retailed for more than the Beis. If you are buying it on the saw this is irrelevant.

A note regarding ShopFox fences. Stay with the Classic and not the one they market as "THE ShopFox" or the original. I played with one of these at the Springfield store a couple of years ago and it is truly smooth as glass. It also has some neat adjustment features. Bad news is it has a bunch of internal rollers and a front/rear gripping mechanism that addes complexity and maintenance. I have seen several negative posts and WOOD had some clearance issues regarding this one.

Grizzly offers a service that is not well publicized. If you call and ask, they will provide the name and phone number of up to two recent purchasers of a similar item in your area. These are folks who volunteer to provide info. You can get first hand opinions regarding a tool.

Reply to
RonB

If you do, you will need heavier wiring to the saw. (18A for the 3 hp 28A for the 5 hp)

I have no idea why a home shop would need 5 hp though. You are still limited to what a 10" blade can rip. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have the Griz 1023s, as I stated in earlier post, I love it. I also used Griz's referral service, was a great help.

Reply to
Tony

Although the G5959 12" 5HP with 48" wide cast iron table is only $1425. Quite a bargain for that much saw.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I assume Trishia Rose is just a troll smearing her anti-Semitism in the roadway rather than scooping it up and depositing it in the trash at home as good neighbors do. Unfortunately, it sticks to her mostly and the smell is quite unpleasant.

Reply to
Ted Franklin

Thanks to everyone that replied, Some great responses and information given on the question. It has helped me deceide on getting the Grizzly cabinet saw. I am sure I would have been satisified with the Craftsman for a while, but in the long run The Griz will suit my needs for a long time to come Chuck

Reply to
Charles Cole