Grizz G1182HW vs. Delta 37-195 jointer...

I have tasted the forbidden fruit of the electro-jointer, and I sort of like it. I have a Delta JT-160 benchtop deal, which I thought would be better than nothing. It sort of is. Sort of. It has given me a taste of what mechanical precision can do that hand planes in my fumbly and unskilled fingers cannot, but it's a slightly bitter taste. (I love'em, but they're definitely not precision tools in my hands I'm afraid.)

I've just about convinced myself to ditch this thing and buy a real jointer. Something with:

  • cast iron tables
  • a real fence
  • tables long enough to joint a 4' board without sniping the hell out of it

The benchtop does OK with boards up to maybe 2' long, which is useful, but not quite useful enough. I've barely used it, and I'd like to box it back up in all the original packaging and find a nice new home for it. Surely someone out there would love to have a nice almost new Delta JT-160. :) Then I'll turn around and buy either the Grizz or the bigger Delta.

I'm looking spec for spec, trying to figure which one is better worth looking at. Price for price, they're similar enough that it doesn't much matter. The Delta is available cash and carry, while the Grizz is mail order. The Grizz has handwheels, the Delta doesn't. The Delta has a 4" dust port, the Grizz doesn't.

I don't have a DC, and don't have room for a DC. There's no way my shop vac trash can deal could keep up, so I suppose I have little practical alternative but to continue ejecting the chips onto the floor. That gives my daughter something to do anyway. She likes to sweep my shop, and no, that's not mandatory gender role enforcement on my part. She just likes to sweep. Who am I to argue with that?

So, the dust port on the Delta is not really a bonus. The Grizz has handwheels, which look cool. I'm not quite sure how the mechanism works on the Delta, but I notice that even their big daddy 12" job has some kind of lever flummy instead of handwheels. Looks like you loosen a nut and then use the lever to adjust the height. Looks a bit crude, judging from pictures. I'll have to go play with the display at Lowe's and check that aspect out.

Well, anyway, what else should I be thinking about here? I'm generally inclined more toward cash and carry than mail order, so that puts it at least 60% that I would grab the Delta. If the Grizz has a lot more to offer in the way of useful features or enhancements, however, I could be swayed to go that route. I reckon I could look at JET and stuff too.

(And yes, for those who will point this out, I realize I have umpty buttloads of medical bills coming in any day now. Thanks for reminding me, and it doesn't hurt to shop, dammit.)

While I'm at it, there's no place I can leave one of these beasts stationary in my bitty shop. I need to think about mobile bases that can move a ~250-pound cast iron behemoth around on a floor composed of irregular, sagging, warped sections of plywood. No two segments are the same height, and they all have some degree of flex. I might well break through some of them and have to think about redoing the floor, come to think of it. Pity the benchtop just didn't have enough fundamental jointeriness about it to do what I need to do with it.

Reply to
Silvan

If the tables and knives are properly adjusted, you shouldn't get snipe irrespective of how long or short the bed is... See if you can find the FWW review of 6" jointers of not too long ago...it was actually pretty well done, I think...

For the mobile base, a small jointer is light enough it doesn't need a lot...I'm thinking you could take one of the cheapie ones and get some extra wheels and make a longer axle to replace the single wheels at each corner to provide a width of 2- or 3x the standard?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I've looked at a couple of jointers myself & I just prefer the hand wheels to the levers. When I still lived in Canada, a friend had a Busy Bee 6" jointer and he simply ejected the shavings onto the floor. This was no biggie as they just piled up and were easy to sweep. They don't blow all over the place. I myself am now doing the big save up for either the new Grizz 6" with the spiral cutterhead, or the Powermatic 54A. I just want to do it once and do it right. I find myself frequently cheaping out and kicking myself later. Anyway, back to your original ? I think I would tend to go with the Griz for the handwheels. I haven't really heard any really bad things on the Grizz products. OTOH the Delta will be local for the ease of returning if needed and of course local service. There, I've managed to type for about 5 minutes and basically come to no conclusion, and offer no advice whatsoever. Maybe I should go into politics. On another note, how is the Mrs. feeling? Getting better by the day I hope.

Cheers,

Paul

Reply to
Paul In MN

The lack of dust collection is not a big problem for jointers. They mostly make chips, not much dust, and it pretty much all falls straight down. So a box at the base keeps things nice and clean.

Matthew (who still uses a box after many years)

Reply to
Matthew

Do yourself a favor and look carefully at the Yorkcraft 6" jointer. It is exactly the same as the Delta 37-195, and I mean exactly! If you call Yorkcraft they will tell you so: it's made in the same factory, and used to be shipped with the same manual with the "Delta" crossed out. (at least legend on the post-sites indicate as much). I did my research before buying the Yorkcraft and am extremely happy with it and saved a lot of money. The Yorkcraft sells for $339.

's the web adress (I don't know why it's not showing as a link).

Silvan wrote:

unskilled

useful, but

generally