Gripe about sillycone toobs.

Page 1 of 2

There was a time that one could use a part of a tube, then store it. When attempting to re-use, one could unscrew the tip, clear it out and use the rest of the tube. Now I can't even find a tube of silicon with a removable tip. Does anybody have any tricks to store those things for re-use?
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 07:05:29 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy wrote:

I put a 3 inch screw in the nozzle, the next time I use the tube it gives something to pull the plug of set up silicone out with.
basilisk
On 8/13/2010 9:11 AM, basilisk wrote:

Ditto ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Tritto
RE: Subject
The liquid plastic trick is to----------o much.
Better vliving thru chemistry as DuPont would say.
Lew
On 08/13/2010 09:05 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Throw away those stupid tips and and caps plugs and whatever else. Keep a roll of good quality clear packing tape nearby. When it's time to seal the tube, tear off a 2" section of packing tape, wrap it around the nozzle and mate the adhesive surface back together on itself, and snug it all up tight so it makes an airtight seal. Best friggin' method I've ever used for resealing tubes of almost any gooey caulky material.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 8/13/2010 9:37 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Ok, I've read all the other responses, and I've tried pretty much all the other solutions. Mine's the best. I win.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Not so fast........
On 8/13/2010 10:18 PM, Robatoy wrote:

What-r-ya doing, testing 'em all? <looks at watch> :-) The only one I haven't tried is the "condom" product, and while they seem like a pretty good idea I have a hunch they aren't q-u-i-t-e as airtight as packing tape. Plus, packing tape is way cheaper. :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

But the three inch screw is reusable. Plus it can always be used for its original purpose.
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:30:03 -0500, Steve Turner

I've kept semi-silly painter's caulk under a red cap for a year (here at the house) and it was fresh when I de-condomed it. They're wonderful!
I just subscribed to Handyman magazine and a reader sent in a hot tip about this.
He just screws a wire nut on the end of the tube. The kind that are plastic caps with coiled wire inside.
http://www.aikencolon.com/Ideal-Wire-Nut-Wing-Nut_c_648.html
I've found plastic inserts at Harbor Freight, but unless they are on sale at the local store, the price is outrageous considering that it's just a plastic stick.
http://www.harborfreight.com/caulk-saver-97561.html
Robatoy wrote:

Wire nuts.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Dip the end in Plastic Dip or equivalent. Once dry, it forms an airtight seal. To reuse, peel away the seal. This even prevents caulk from hardening in the nozzle.
Good Luck.

Lee Valley sells a pack of nozzle caps for this purpose.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?pE858&cat=2,42194,40727
scott
On 8/13/10 1:27 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Caulk condoms?
--
Froz...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh THAT is what those are for. I found some of those in the old shop and I ...well.....I..... nebber mind.
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 11:09:44 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I'm sure glad they finally fit SOMEONE, Toy.

Notice the extra space after 'nozzle caps'? Caps wasn't my first choice....
scott
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 07:05:29 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I always buy small tubes, 2 at a time. If I can't reuse the first one the second time, I'll always have a spare.
I adore these caulking condoms, and get a real kick showing them to new clients, but they don't work well on 100% sillycone, only on partials and acrylics. http://fwd4.me/KZf