Great tip on clearing spray cans.

Does it work?? I don't know. But I'll try it next time.
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/72453/easy-fix-for-a-clogged-spray-can-nozzle?&lookup=auto&V27=&V28=&V29=&V30=&V31=&V32=&V33=&V34=&V35=&V55=&V56=&Taun_Per_Flag=True&utm_source=eletter&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=fhb_eletter&utm_campaign=fine-homebuilding-eletter
--
Jeff

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 1:05:50 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

an-nozzle?&lookup=auto&V27=&V28=&V29=&V30=&V31=&V32=&V33=&V 34=&V35=&V55=&V56=&Taun_Per_Flag=True&utm_source=eletter&utm_me dium=eletter&utm_content=fhb_eletter&utm_campaign=fine-homebuilding-e letter

WD-40 is good for removing adhesives and other gunk, so I'm not surprised t hat it could clear paint from a nozzle.
In my case, I'd have to modify that technique since this is how I dispense WD-40:
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/images/items/zoom/12TK20_AS02.JPG
I haven't bought an aerosol can of WD-40 in probably 15 years.
I just had to do this yesterday... I put the nozzle in a little bit of industrial solvent (goof-off in this case, although an 0.018" drill bit was perfect for clearing the hole) and used a syringe to put a drop of solvent in the top of the spray can itself. The nozzle was easy to clean, but it took a few tries to get the can itself unclogged.
On 2/2/2015 12:05 PM, woodchucker wrote:

If WD40 sprays through the nozzle is the nozzle even clogged?

Also, the nozzle is not likely to be compatible with the WD40 can. Paint cans are usually as cheaply built as possible so tend to have a simple ball bearing on a spring against a rubber washer or O ring that both seals the can and the shaft of the detachable nozzle. WD40 cans have a higher quality valve assembly with an integral shaft protruding from the can.
You really dont want traces of WD40 in the paint either.
If you chill the paint can to reduce the internal pressure, you can use a warm (not hot) can of lighter gas to blow back through the valve and dip tube to clear it of paint. You'll probably have to slot the end of one of the lighter gas nozzles to let the gas flow while its pushing the ball bearing in the paint can valve down. You can also use the lighter gas to flush the paint nozzle.
You can try soaking the nozzle in thinners and putting a drop into the top of the pain can to try and clear the valve, but if you let paint dry in the nozzle because you didn't clear it after use, its probably too late.