got my Norton water combos

Just got them today from "Tools for working wood", good service and well packaged. I bought the two combos of all four grits, the Norton flattening stone made of silicon carbide (crystolon?) and the Norton "prep stone" which is artificial nagura stone.

THEN (before I recieved the order and after it was shipped) I read that the 8000 grit does not need it! I forgot where though. Or does it? Should I use it?

Reply to
AAvK

Does not need what- the nagura stone?

Reply to
Bob in Oregon

Yeah... I read that. I want to read it again but I cannot find it. Just wonder if anyone knows better or where I can read that again so I know why.

Bob do you use the prep stone or a nagura on your Norton 4000 / 8000 stones?

Reply to
AAvK

One of us isnt making sense. Yes, use the nagura on your 4000 and 8000 stones to deglaze and build up slurry (mud).

Reply to
Bob in Oregon

Bob, you are making sense. Thank you.

Reply to
AAvK

What? Really?

I thought naura was for japanese stones. Woodcraft never told me I'd need one for my 4000/8000 norton combo. What if I've not used it. Is that bad? Will it help in the future? Is it a Norton brand?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

Mike, mine is a Norton prep stone, fake nagura, it ain't exactly "chalk" as harder than that. It is too expensive imho at $16.95. I got it along with the order because it's what they had. You can get fake Nagura stones at these links for much cheaper:

"accessories" link. These are larger than the Nortons.
's:
did see the difference, using nagura richly (much of it, not a super amount), created a mirror polish and hence a finer hone, but not* without it. Better to find it as cheap as possible. Since there are different grades of the natural nagura and the best is expensive, better to get the artificial ones if you're economical.

Reply to
AAvK

The nagura stone is optional, but I have always found it helpful is clearing the stone of metal particles (deglazing) during the sharpening process. It also helps to build up a slurry on the 8000 which I only use for a few strokes (I microbevel) which does not produce much of a slurry due to the stone's hardness. You do not have to have it. Check Lee Valley. They have them.

Reply to
Bob in Oregon