got my Norton water combos

Just got them today from "Tools for working wood", good service and well packaged. I bought the two combos of all four grits, the Norton flattening stone made of silicon carbide (crystolon?) and the Norton "prep stone" which is artificial nagura stone.
THEN (before I recieved the order and after it was shipped) I read that the 8000 grit does not need it! I forgot where though. Or does it? Should I use it?
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Yeah... I read that. I want to read it again but I cannot find it. Just wonder if anyone knows better or where I can read that again so I know why.
Bob do you use the prep stone or a nagura on your Norton 4000 / 8000 stones?
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
One of us isnt making sense. Yes, use the nagura on your 4000 and 8000 stones to deglaze and build up slurry (mud).

Bob, you are making sense. Thank you.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
What? Really?
I thought naura was for japanese stones. Woodcraft never told me I'd need one for my 4000/8000 norton combo. What if I've not used it. Is that bad? Will it help in the future? Is it a Norton brand?
Thanks, Mike

Mike, mine is a Norton prep stone, fake nagura, it ain't exactly "chalk" as harder than that. It is too expensive imho at $16.95. I got it along with the order because it's what they had. You can get fake Nagura stones at these links for much cheaper: http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID 12 http://bladegallery.com/ "accessories" link. These are larger than the Nortons. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item726294612 Norton's: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=NO-NAGURA&Category_Code=CNO
I did see the difference, using nagura richly (much of it, not a super amount), created a mirror polish and hence a finer hone, but not* without it. Better to find it as cheap as possible. Since there are different grades of the natural nagura and the best is expensive, better to get the artificial ones if you're economical.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
The nagura stone is optional, but I have always found it helpful is clearing the stone of metal particles (deglazing) during the sharpening process. It also helps to build up a slurry on the 8000 which I only use for a few strokes (I microbevel) which does not produce much of a slurry due to the stone's hardness. You do not have to have it. Check Lee Valley. They have them.