Going with the Jet Saw

Well I've made up my mind to go with the Jet saw that's on sale with the router, lift, and fence upgrade. It's the one in all the magazines. I'll probably order it next week. If I may call upon the vast knowledge here -

  1. I called an electrician for an estimate for another 230 outlet in my garage. He says the job will be less than 200.00 total, without looking at it. He will use #12 wire and a 20Amp breaker. The Jet owners manual doesn't specify so he figured it off the 3HP. He also wants to bring conduit down the wall from the attic - I guess I don't mind that - it is a garage after all. It is an outside wall and he said trying to drill and fish the wall is going to be more expensive. Does all this sound about right ? He also suggested, rather than an outlet, one of those disconnect boxes (I don't remember what it's called) like they use outside on an AC unit, then just wire the saw straight into that - I think I'll specify an outlet, unless someone has a reason why not.

  1. The jet mobile base is over 0.00. Do I have any other options that aren't shabby ?

  2. I figure I'll sell off the Bosch router in the box and mount a Hitachi M12V or , preferably a PC 7518 - depending on availability of funds. Anyone done this ? Problems ?

jim bailey

Reply to
Jim Bailey

Sounds right to me. If you can get the whole thing done for under $200, I think you're getting a good deal. Around these parts, you can't get an electrician to change a lightbulb for less than that.

There's no doubt that fishing a cable through a finished wall is more labor than running a conduit on the surface. It's really up to you. If you prefer the cable burried in the wall, ask him to quote a price both ways and decide for yourself if the added cost is worth it to you. It's mostly an aesthetic thing.

I can't see any any advantage to a hard-wired connection over an outlet, and lots of disadvantages. It's probably more expensive to install, and a lot less flexible. At some point in the future, you may rearrange your shop and then you'll really appreciate the ability to just plug and unplug things at will. Go with the outlet.

Reply to
Roy Smith

3/4 of you battle is already over.... you made up your mind...!!!! now just pull the trigger and order the darn thing....

============ That is exactly how I would do it (and I would be doing it myself....just easier and much less time involved and and Electricians do not work for peanuts .. =============

That is up to you BUT I prefer the disconnect box... again mostly because of the expense...and he says the box is cheaper then an outlet

=============

I do not have a moble base...just never needed one BUT I had no idea they were that expensive... lol...

=====================================>

I have 6 (six) routers and I question why (unless you needed the money that bad) you would sell the Bosch...keep it for hand held use...

I do not like routers mounted in a saws wing ..BUT that is a personal thing ...

Enjoy the saw and start making sawdust....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
grif

Specs sound right... just did the same thing for my new Jet 3 HP saw. I went with the right tilt saw and found that the cord that comes with the saw isn't quite long enough to reach the wall at the end of the right extension table... another 6" of cord would have done it. Thus I've got a short 220 V extension cord and used a plug rather than a disconnect. I pretty much leave the WWII installed so the relatively infrequent times when I need to disconnect the saw from power didn't seem to warrant a switch.

The price doesn't sound out of line, especially if he shows up and actuall does it. I've had local associates ask me how I got an electrician to actually show up for such a small job... I guess knowing him for 40 years helped. ;-)

I went with the Delta base instead. I think it's about $180 from Amazon. Based on reviews of the HTC/Jet base, and on personal experience with both HTC and Delta bases, suggested to me that the Delta base was far better. It works great with the Jet saw. The only minor issue is that a 2" wood spacer is needed at the end of the extension table to move the legs in enough to sit on the base. Creating the spacer and screwing it in place took maybe 10 minutes including taking out the tools and putting them away.

I've got a shaper and router table and didn't bother with the router lift. I figure I could always add it later...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Not much point in having a mobile base if the saw is hard-wired to the box - get an outlet. Then you can also use it for that new jointer, planer, whatever...

Keep the Bosch for hand held use, it is really a nice router, and after a while they are just like clamps... you always need one more.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Made the sane move exactly one year ago. Love the saw, love the router (light and easy to handle... bought another one I liked it so much). I have the Jet base. In hindsight, the Delta would have been a tad more convenient,,, I think. In any case the saw doesn't move, even when NOT secured.

Now, make some sawdust!

Don

Reply to
Don Sforza

Now that is a scary thought. Today I was just sweating over the thought that 'Damn... I need some more clamps'. And compared to a router they cost peanuts!

Guess I will get that second job after all. :-)

Mike W.

Reply to
Mike W.

Depending on the base size one of these may work. I have the smaller one on my Griz contractor saw and like it a lot.

?itemnumber=G7315 -- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde