Gluing question

Building a dresser. It has a sort of panel and rail ends. Veneer ply, solid lumber construction.
The assembled panels fit into legs. The panels have a 3/8 rabbet on the bac k, the legs have grooves down the center.
I thought I was wise and refinished separately, the legs and panels. Howeve r, I failed to leave alone the part of the panel that fits into the groove. I used polyurethane.
It seems that I'm stuck. I want to glue the panels into the legs, but the t op of the panels have this coat of poly (it's thin), the bottom is still ra w. I can scrap/sand the solid rails, but curious about the ply. I'm afraid that I won't get down to raw ply without sanding through the veneer layer.
Here's the question - is there anyway to fix this? Is there a glue that wil l allow you to adhere two pieces of poly finished wood? A buddy and I think that perhaps we should pin nail from the back of the leg, of course scrap/ sand the rails and do as best as we can on the plywood.
Suggestions would be most helpful.
Thanks,
MJ
On Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:41:41 PM UTC-5, MJ wrote:

I recently received some excellent instruction regarding epoxy, as an adhes ive, and had/have excellent results. I don't see why epoxy wouldn't do the trick. Scratch the surfaces to be glued, for the epoxy to bite onto.... a nd/or drill some holes into the mating surfaces, for the epoxy to anchor in to, in addition to the epoxy gluing the surfaces together.
Sonny

On 8/31/2014 12:41 PM, MJ wrote:

Lay a line of masking tape to protect the surface that will be exposed and sand the poly off. You have such a large glue surface there should be no issues with the glue sticking.
Or if you have clearance on the inside use short screws and attach the panels inside the rabbits. This is how I attach back panels to cabinets.
On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 10:41:41 -0700, MJ wrote:

I've *never* done anything that stupid! Yeah, right :-).
Last time I did it I used a hand scraper to remove the finish along the edges. Just don't use a great big burr and go slow and careful.