Gluing plywood back of cabinet...

Is there any problem with gluing 1/4" birch plywood back to the 3/4" birch plywood frame?
i.e., can I assume that plywood is stable enough not to worry about cross grain dimensional instability etc.
On 12/5/2011 10:52 PM, blueman wrote:

No problem ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 12/5/2011 10:52 PM, blueman wrote:

That will work and you can do it to a solid wood frame also however it is customary to use a mechanical fastener. Often a hole is added to run an electrical cord through for what ever application and you may or may not want to make that hole after the fact. Basically mechanical fasteners make for easier replacement of thin back panels that may be damaged or that you might want to modify in the future.

I use wood screws so that you can pop the backs off and cut out for outlets, plumbing, etc. No need for glue. Screws make a good strong cabinet rigid.
RP

None, so long as you clean up all of the glue squeezeout, which can screw up your finish. Inside corners are the hardest part to clean up, and the inside of a cabinet has plenty of them. 1" brads are up to the task, and you can finish the cab and back before putting them together.