glue sizing

Book mentions glue sizing for sealing end grain before finishing. Not much more detail that a 50/50 mix of white glue and water. I'm guessing that's something like Plain Old Elmer's and tap water. Am I right?

How is it applied? Brush a thin layer? Brush a thick layer? Apply once? Apply many coats? Apply only to end grain, or ok to apply over entire board?

Thanks

Reply to
mttt

I've never used white glue in this manner, but I have used diluted hide glue and it works great; I recommend you try that instead.

You can brush it > Book mentions glue sizing for sealing end grain before finishing. Not much

Reply to
Steve Turner

'mttt' - I usually try to stick with the simplest things, first. The engineering 'KISS" principle. Also, applying some stain or finish rejecting liquid to the end of a board makes me nervous . . . too many times I've either seen or heard of this liquid getting on to the 'face' and causing problems & aggravation later on.

I would suggest something I heard about here, and read about in several books {Flexner, I think}. SAND the end grain about 1 or 2 grit sizes FINER than the face. Say 150 grit for the face and 220 for the ends.

Worth a try, and 'trial samples' are easy enough to make . . .

Ron Magen