Glue Getting Old? Maybe not.

Page 1 of 2
I am working on a project and wanted to refill my smaller glue container from the quart container of TB III and noticed that the glue in the quart container had almost turned to a pudding like consistency. As the glue almost poured out when I squeezed the bottle but sucked back into the bottle when I quit squeezing I thought that this half bottle of glue had expired. I have 2, 1 quart bottles and the unopened one was fine and both were bought at the same time. So, I called Franklin International and told them that I thought I had a bottle of glue that had gone bad, what can you do for me. They indicated that they have only seen the glue sometimes begin to gel, like putting. I had not told them what was wrong however his description matched my problem. The very simple solution to fix and return the gel like glue to a chocolate milk liquid was to simply "whack" the bottle a couple of times with the palm of your hand. Like magic, this gunk in my glue bottle suddenly turned to a liquid again.
"Leon" wrote

As an avid advocate of the "magic whack" fix for everything electronic and mechanical, I am surprised that this technique also apples to glue.
It's a small world out there. ;)

I think you are showing your age there Lee. I remember many years ago the magical whack and or jiggle of the knob would make the reception on any TV or radio come in better. These days there are no knobs to jiggle and printed circuits don't respond in a benefitting way to being whacked. ;~)
Leon wrote:

Maybe you need a bigger whacker. :-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

You may still fix a modern TV with a good whack... Take a look at the first story under the section "Rob's Experiences" here: http://repairfaq.org/sam/stories.htm#rs023
Puckdropper

"Lee Michaels" wrote

LOL .. musicians have what is universally known as the "Peavey Fix" ... whack/smack/kick the shit out of it and, magically, it works again ... First time I've ever seen it applied to wooddorking.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/16/07

In my neighborhood, Peaveys are used to keep the boat from drifting or the band truck from rolling!
They did make a few decent sounding tube amps, but they also made some really ugly sounding stuff...
Remember the natural oak Peavey basses of the 80's? <G>
"B A R R Y" wrote

I still have a Peavey 18 /2 10's from that era ... used to power it with a GK 800RB, in crossover mode.
Would it ever thump! ... Ouch!
Huh? whaddidjyousay??
(haven't used it it in 15 years ... wonder what it'll bring on ebay?)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/11/07

I had the same cabinet. It was a replacement of a KILLER Yamaha 6x10 that the seller had to buy me when the *real* owner of the 6x10 appeared. <G>
That Yamaha was like a cut-down SVT cabinet, with less boomy bottom. I never could find another of that beautiful sounding box.
Swingman wrote:

and you had to have the 7mm Stixson Gangley Wrench to just get the cover off...     confusedly yours,     jo4hn
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:08:51 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

Like The Fonz? <G>

It's called "percussive maintenance".
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

I'm a big fan of my BFH alignment tool.
Leon wrote: Like magic, this gunk in my glue bottle suddenly turned to a liquid again.
Nice little physics lesson...thanks
I seem to remember that a "magic whack" from my Dad used to fix us kids too.

Yeah.. ;~)
Leon wrote:

Aha! A thixotropic gel.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

No, it was glue. ;~)

I've been doing that since my first bottle of TB III, Leon.. I hope your call to Franklin was toll free, cuz it tells you on the label to "hit vigorously on a hard surface" on the label.. ;-]
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

It wuz.
cuz it tells you on the label to

Reeeeeally! I gunna go take a look. Wellllll, the lable on mne says to shake vigeriousely by bumping on a table. I only had to bump the bottle against my hand 2 or 3 times, no shaking at all. That said, I'm going to shake it too. ;~)