Glue Blocks on Finished Surfaces

I'm about to undertake a project using glue blocks and wanted to ask if it was plausible to use glue blocks with already primed opr painted wood.

Or should I sand the wood first before gluing?

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Sand it. The glue will stick to the paint - probably and depending - but the bond is no better than that of the paint to the wood, AAMOF, tht's what the bond would be.

Reply to
dadiOH

Another way of saying the above is, "Sand only if you want the glue blocks to do their job."

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Also "Glue first, paint later." Glue works best when it can sink into the wood. Prepainted wood, even after it is sanded, absorbs a whole lot less glue.

-- Poverty is easy. It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. --anon

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ok, thanks everyone. I figured I'd need to take out the sanding block.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

I've got a propane torch and paint scraper, and can always find my way to bare wood. Sanding is good, too.

Glue holds to wood better than finishes hold to wood, as well as better than glue holds to finishes.

Reply to
whit3rd