Glue as Wood Filler?

On occasions when end grain is exposed on a project that is to be painted, would it make sense to use wood glue as a filler to clean up the end grain? Just smear on a light coating of glue to cover up the end grain?
On 7/16/2016 2:40 AM, Bob Penoyer wrote:

Ever burnish the end? Rub it with a shiny round screwdriver or similar across the grain.

That's called "sizing". It's more often done when you're planning to glue the end grain to something, to stop the grain from soaking up all the glue and starving the joint.
I'd probably use shellac instead if you're just looking to seal the surface for a smooth paint coat.
John
On 7/16/2016 9:27 AM, John McCoy wrote:

I find that paint works well enough, just recoat the endgrain. No need to use something else.
Bob Penoyer wrote:

Folks: Would "Durham's Water Putty" work in this application? My guess is that it might work pretty well if the surface is rough enough.
On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 5:15:26 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:

I have used carpenters glue and sanding dust as a filler for a painted surface successfully even if not often.
On 7/16/2016 4:14 PM, Bill wrote:

It will.
So will joint compound, spackling, and spackling products like Dry Dex, and yes, even <gasp> .... wait for it .................
bondo.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
"Swingman" wrote in message

Wouldn't the proper woodworker solution be to carefully inlet a piece of face grain into the end grain? ;~)

Only if the effort is taxpayer funded ... ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 23:40:48 -0700