Gloat - Just finished daughters jewelry box

http://www.woodworking.org/photo/displayimage.php?album 606&pos=0
http://www.woodworking.org/photo/displayimage.php?album 606&pos=1
nicely done tom.
are those small bullet catches to hold the side doors closed?
jc

Yes, but I couldn't use the corresponding retainer on the door, it was too large and didn't allow for adjustments. I solved the problem by using a square drive, flat head screw with the square socket slightly rounded at the surface with a countersink. This made a recess for the bullet and still left enough socket to adjust it up and down.
I bought the hinges for the lid but couldn't find anything I liked for the side wings. I finally use a steel pin (16 penny nail) in the top and bottom of the wing. At the bottom, I used a short piece of 3/8" brass bolt with a hole in the center for the pin. At the top I used a piece of brass stock ( 3/8" W x 1/4" H).
Everything seems to work OK.

Very nice!

Very nice details.
How much did this cost for materials?
How many hours?
You do know, of course, that the expensive part is filling up this thing, don't you?
Lee Michaels wrote:

Hey! That was gonna be my question.

Maybe he could offer a box full of jewelry instead of paying for college and graduate/medical school. He should come out, adjusted for inflation, roughly a million bucks ahead!
Good job on the box, Tom! What's up next?
Looks great.

I was surprised to find that the hardware cost as much as the wood. About $40 for cherry and maple inserts and $40 for hardware. Can't guess on the hours. It sat on the back shelf since last November and I would pull it out and work on it when the inspiration hit me.
Thanks for all the good comment.

Very nice work Tom. Impressive.
-jtpr
Tom H (in MJfPf.38152$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net) said:
| http://www.woodworking.org/photo/displayimage.php?album 606&pos=0 | | http://www.woodworking.org/photo/displayimage.php?album 606&pos=1
Beautiful!

Nice work Tom. - Let her boyfriends fill it!
Dave
Very, very nice work.
RonB

Exquisite!