Glass or lexan for a curio

Greetings, Planning on building a large (72" x 36") curio. I've been leaning towards glass, but lexan is cheaper and lighter. Also thinking about using the window glass from Home Depot. Recommendations?
Thanks, Cliff
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (BCOdom) wrote:

Lexan gets scratched up over time and ends up looking like hell.
Lexan is far from cheaper than Glass and the glass at Home Depot is only 1/8" Try a local glass shop and ask for 1/4" glass, and as long as the glass is set in a wood frame ask for seamed edges. Good luck, George

George M. Kazaka writes:

application the OP's talking about. 6'x3', scaled down you're talking a couple of sheets of about 18" x 60". Of course with that kind of area 1/4" is about as light as you can go.
You'll have to overengineer the doors and hinges if you'll be supporting that kind of weight.
Also, depending on where this curio is going to be deployed, and whether there will be internal lighting, ask about low reflectivity glass. If the curio is in a sunny place it'll glare like hell with regular window glass (DAMHIKT, but I didn't build the piece). Internal light pots work better with regular glass but if it's a tradeoff consider whether the glare or the backlighting is more important.
Best,
Marc

On 22 Nov 2003 22:40:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (BCOdom) wrote:

Lexan (polycarbonate) is soft (thus easily scratched) and flexible (so shelves will sag).
If I wanted something that was less likely to shatter, I might use acrylic (Lucite / Perspex) instead of glass, but I wouldn't use polycarbonate.

Lexan scratches badly; glass breaks badly. You make your choice and pay your money.
Honestly, if the curio is going to live in a home where things are subject to breakage I'ld go with at least double strength glass.

I'm not sure how double strength breaks. Tempered breaks in small pieces, same as the windows in your car. The glass shop I called prices it at $7.50 a square foot. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome