Need info on painting/finishing Poplar

I'm about to start a small kitchen project for the wife. It's basically a free standing cabinet (30") with a bread box on the top (to ~42") and a back (to 65") with a dry erase board on one half and some cork board on the other.

Since she wants it painted (country bluish) I'm using 3/4" Maple plywood for the sides, 3/4" Poplar to frame the doors (and wherever else hardwood is needed) and 1/4" Red Oak for the door panels, instead of all Red Oak.

Prior to painting, should a base coat be applied, if so what type?

Is oil or latex paint recommended?

How about a top coat, it will be in the kitchen and may take some abuse, but, liquids ' shouldn't ' be an issue. Yea right.

Is it better to paint the pieces & parts before or after assembly?

ThankX all,

ROn

Reply to
Ron

Use a good quality alkyd primer, then topcoat with yer country bluish. Latex. Paint 'em after assembly.Tom >Subject: Need info on painting/finishing Poplar

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Crikey. Build it, paint it. Use whatever. It ain't rocket science.

If you don't prime it with primer, you'll probably have to prime it with paint (ie it will take extra coats for good coverage).

Reply to
Silvan