Glass cutting advise.

Page 2 of 2

Listen to Leon !!! I agree with what he says. I have 20 plus years in stained glass (hobby only ) from lamps to windows etc. and oil lubricant is for the cutter wheel. Inside curves are very difficult to cut. Depending on the glass sometimes you have success sometimes you have a oh ! sh--!!!! I would cut the glass oval in several steps (small curvatures). The trick to cutting is even steady pressure of the cutter on the glass and seperate the pieces in slow rocking motion , this enforces the score line and seperation at the line. I would also get a diamong stone to smooth the edges of glass.

well, a: you don't have or know of all cutters. there are some that designed to cut dry. for instance there are some carbide wheels, and diamond tipped hand cutters, that are like this.
b: second, it's not only for lubricant, but to help with the selfhealing properties of the glass skin. i've been cutting stained glass for years with a dry cutter. when i cut 3/4" glass, it's far easier to paint on kerosene with a paint brush. cutting 3/4" glass won't break correctly without putting something on the glass surface first.
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:18:16 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

group. The only thing rec.woodworking excels in these days is mediocre advice from amateurs, like Leon.
snipped-for-privacy@lurker.com wrote:

While I agree with your viewpoint to some extent, there's another issue. Generally speaking commenting on the abilities of others is counterproductive because it carries the discussion into the domain of personalities rather than technical issues. Dismissing another's comment as "nonsense", even if it _is_ nonsense, is more likely to incite a flame war than a productive discussion. Better to explain, politely, _why_ it is nonsense.
I'll get back under my bridge now.
--
--John
Charles Spitzer wrote:

As someone who make stained glass panels I agree with the advise above. I would also suggest getting a good glass cutter that automatically oils the cutting wheel while the cut is being made. When cutting the glass don't draw the cutter towards you. Use a push cut moving away from you body.