Garage Workshop Heating

Page 2 of 2
Look into the use of a pellet stove, it is efficient and self feeding. It does use a little electricity but burns very clean with about no emmisions. Some have powered exhausts, some have no venting. can heat up to 2500 sq feet.

Rich, I heat mine with propane. Direct vent, works with no power, just has a tank out back. My shop is about 16x24. I thought about going the wood route, but then called my insurance company, and they wouldn't insure the garage if it had wood heat for some reason. My house is OK, but not the shop. Go figure. Maybe they assume fumes, sawdust etc. Anyway, I'd check with your insurance company before you go thru the expense of a wood stove. If it burns to the ground, you might get nothing. On the plus side, you have a place to put mistakes.

Easy to figure.
Start wood stove burning. Load it up so it lasts the day while you work.
OK, done work, stove about out. Pull car into garage. Tank has slight leak. Wood stove has hot embers. B O O O O M ! ! ! !
Insurance company out a lot of money.
Easy to figure.

between them, but....open flame is bad. Especially if you do anything with lacquer. At least with the propane, I can warm it up nice, then turn off the gas and do my spraying.
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:37:06 -0500, "Richard J Petruso"

to no end ... always afraid to leave the shop at night with a fire still going.... Only good thing I recall about using it was that it made quick work of scrap hardwood ... Went out and purchased a propane heater about 20 years ago and run if off of a couple of 100 pound tanks ...use one tank, keep one full tank in reserve... worked out pretty well...as long as I kept a spare tank full. Running a line (10 foot) only involved drilling a hole in the shops wall ....no big deal... tanks are kept outside naturally.
BUT Propane is NOT cheap ... I have a total electric home and ELECTRIC is not cheap either... lol
Bob Griffiths

Wood may be a code and/or insurance problem. If you have gas or propane the best bet is a ceiling hung unit heater. Reznor is a popular brand, Modine makes a Hot Dawg that is popular too. Either one is realitvely easy to install if you are handy with tools. Greg
Infrared lamp. A wood burning stove will work well, but leaving a burning stove unattended is unwise.
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:37:06 -0500, "Richard J Petruso"