gallons of glue

on amazon i saw gallons of titebond for $16-17 with free shipping
seemed too good to be true then i noticed the price was only for prime customers and i did not see a price for non-prime customers
something new afoot at amazon
do not look there that often so maybe i never noticed that
On 4/10/2016 1:39 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

you can use in a year and if it has an extended open time feature you have to shake it periodically, monthly, so that the ingredient stay mixed. I have had half a gallon go bad in less than 18 months.
I suspect the note on prime is the vender is a prime customer shipper. There are non-prime shippers that slow boat stuff. Prime expresses out stuff if you are prime. Otherwise slow or medium boat.
Martin - aka Amazon Prime and vendor.
On 4/10/2016 3:14 PM, Leon wrote:

No, Prime is Amazon's subscription service. For $100 per year you get free shipping, discounts, and a few other perks. Worth it if you buy lots and lots of stuff from Amazon, but for most people it's a false economy.
John

True, to a point.
I live in the CO Rockies, at least 100 mis from the closest urban center. Cheaper to mail order than to drive 200 mi, round trip. Still, Prime does encourage one to order more than one really needs. I recall ordering something for less the $2.50 and receiving it, on my doorstep, in 2 days, exactly as Prime promises. OTOH, I didn't really need it and I no longer subscribe to Prime. I now spend less $$$$ on junk I don't really need. Those higher shipping prices keep me and my impulsive spending quirks in check. ;)
nb
On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 11:19:59 AM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

I'm a non-Prime user.
An Amazon technique that I often use is to look on the right hand side of the main listing page of an item for the "Other Sellers on Amazon" heading. I then click on the link at the bottom of that list that will say something like:
"14 used & new from $11.86"
I then sort the resulting list by Price + Shipping. Quite often I can find the same item as the "main listing" for a cheaper "Price + Shipping".

One of the things I dislike about the current Amazon policy, quite often the shipping price is now hidden. The shipping price (w/o Prime) usta be displayed in the price box. Now, Amazon does not reveal the shipping costs until they come up on the check-out page. IOW, I gotta order it, go through all the rigmarole of providing a payment source, etc, and then it finally provides the shipping price info. Screw that! More and more, I'm becoming disenchanted with Amazon and the cheap junk they sell.
BTW, watch those "used" options. I once bought a used book from Amazon. The price was amazing, but it took almost 30 days to ship to me (within USA!). I didn't know USPS service could be so slow. Something else I purchased(new) on Amazon, which was shipped directly from Japan, took only 10 days. 8|
nb
On 4/11/2016 12:14 PM, notbob wrote:

Makes perfect sense.
They do display the shipping cost on items shipped by a third part.
They do not display shipping cost for Amazon item because they don't know until the order is complete. If you order one item, easy to calculate and display, but when packaging a group of things, 2 + 2 may equal 3 when combined, saving you money. I've had items that would cost $9 shipping for one, but for two the shipping is still $9.
They also offer a few shipping options to choose from at varying cost. Same rules apply when grouping items.
On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 3:25:22 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I agree.
I'm not a prime member, but I am a member. Amazon knows my address and my payment method whenever I log in. All I need to do is add something to my cart and I can get a shipping cost. Unless the seller ships at a flat rate to anyone/anywhere (it happens) the "system" needs to know the "where & what" associated with an order before it can tell you the shipping cost.

Yep! They don't know if you're eligible for free shipping, either. I'm not a Prime member but I've never paid shipping either. I just keep things in my basket, or a list, until it gets to the point where I can get free shipping.
Amazon knows, better than anyone, how to fulfill orders and has the shipping companies under their thumb. Anyone who thinks they know how to do order fulfillment is certainly welcome to start a company to compete with Amazon.
krw wrote:

When they raised their free-shipping cutoff from $25 to $35, they significantly impacted their sales to me. Typically, what I wanted was less than $25, but I could add something. I only need so many razor blades...lol

It could be $25, $50 (now), or $100, and it wouldn't change how much I order from them. It would just affect the timing. Nothing I buy from Amazon is an emergency. I can wait a few weeks or even a month. Likewise, two day shipping doesn't thrill me much either.

The shipping price for third party sellers is clearly displayed. For items sold & shipped by Amazon, all I see is the Prime logo. A $35 purchase is all it takes to get free shipping, so most people try for that.
When it comes to third party sellers, yes it can take forever. I've had two (usually slow boat from China sellers) that have sent me half the order and then made good when I complained. When you click on the "used" or the "other buying options" page, you'll see the price, shipping, any tax collected by Amazon, condition, estimated shipping time, and where it's shipping from.
Puckdropper
On 11 Apr 2016 19:56:26 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

<nitpick> $49 now.

On 4/11/2016 7:57 AM, John McCoy wrote:

Actually you also get Prime TV and music, the TV can be worth it by itself.
On 4/11/2016 11:31 AM, Leon wrote:

Been a Prime member since its inception and I've saved a bunch buying from Amazon.
Although I do buy quite a bit for personal use, I also do a lot of ordering/buying fixtures and items for clients, many of which are hard to get locally, but can be delivered in two days/free shipping using Prime.
If I went to a local supplier for many of these things which are not normally in stock, I would have to pay much more in shipping, and wait much longer for delivery.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 4/11/2016 7:57 AM, John McCoy wrote:

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 21:58:39 -0500

not sure who was doing the fulfillment on the glue but i did not see other prices there was only a prime offer
i found it locally
i do not like to get too low on glue
On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 4:15:16 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Does Festool glue dry green? ;-)