FS Tablesaw

Page 1 of 2
I'm selling my Craftsman table saw. There is one catch though, it will be 220 volt.
My wife wants new kitchen cabinets and I plan to build them myself. A guy at work is selling a Delta Unit saw, the cabinet model. It is a good deal, excpet the 3 horse motor is 220 volt and he says I can't change it to 120 volts. Than't not a problem though. My Craftsman has a 3 1/2 horse motor at 120 volt so I'm going to swap them.
The Delta Unit saw will be better with the slightly larger motor and the smaller Craftsman will still be OK with the 3 horse motor.
I paid $199 for the Craftsman saw about four years ago. I'm hoping to get maybe $150 out of it, but I'd drop a few bucks if you want to put the motor on yourself. It is a damned good saw and the only reason I'm selling it is to get the Delta Unit saw to make cabinets. It has a bigger fence so I can cut plywood easier.
I'm located in western Mass and own a small delivery service. I cover all of New England and New York so I can arrange delivery of the saw in that area. .
Ralph Engerman RE Quick Transit

Be careful there. The unisaw motor is unique to that saw and I sort of doubt (could be wrong here) that your other motor will fit. Why don't you go check things out on www.owwm.com.
Good luck,
Jim
FYI: It's "Unisaw" not "Unit saw".

Thank god for that clarification. My johnson shriveled up at the thought of a "Unit saw"...
On 2/26/04 10:33 PM, in article 403ec883$ snipped-for-privacy@news.microsoft.com, "codepath"

I forgot to ask -- was this a 10 inch unit saw?
On 2/26/04 11:51 PM, in article BC6436E4.5FE3% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net, "BM

Doh!
Get rag ... clean monitor ... get fresh coffee

Sockman,
I seriously doubt the craftsman motor is bigger than the Delta. If the craftsman motor is 120volt, then it couldn't possibly be more than 1 3/4 horsepower. Craftsman invented the overrating of motors through marketing hype.
I would say the delta motor is almost twice the power of the craftsman motor. You will be underpowering the delta saw and creating a danger by putting the bigger motor in the craftsman saw which may not be built to handle it.
Leave the Delta motor where it is and arrange to get 220 volt to it.
Bob

Nice cast.

hehe, exactly what I was thinking right off the bat. Looks like Ralph caught himself some of the wreck's big fish today hehe.

Yea, it was a good effort. I caught on when he said his old Craftsman was a "damn good saw".

scribbled:

At 100% efficiency, 3.5HP would draw 21.75 amps. You must have a pretty big breaker to run that saw, and I hope your circuit uses at least 10 gauge wire.
Oh!, I forgot. That's Sears horsepower. Who else but Sears can defy the laws of physics and make a 3.5 horsepower motor that works on a 15 Amp circuit at 120 Volts?
Don't do it, i.e. switch the motors, even in the unlikely event the motors fit when you switch them around. Sears lies about its horsepower. Simple math, which you can check out for yourself in any good reference:
1HPt6Watts
Volts X Amps = Watts (for 120/240 volts)
So 3.5 HP = 2,611 Watts
2,611 Watts / 120 Volts = 21.75 amps.
So, you're going to have a much less powerful motor.
Luigi Zanasi writes:

What a bite!

Pret' near every tool manufacturer who makes benchtop saws or routers and sells them in the U.S. and Canada.
Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.
Charlie Self wrote:

You trying to tell me my Shop Vac doesn't really deliver 6.8 HP?
Do you really think 150,000,000 cardboard boxes could be wrong?
Silvan writes:

At least as wrong as 50 million Frenchmen. Or are you old enough to recall that little line?
Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.
On 28 Feb 2004 09:45:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I think the French line first started as the Luftwaffe airplanes waved down to the French all cozy in their Maginot Line.
Charlie Self wrote:

Probably not.
In rec.woodworking

Why are the streets of Paris lined with trees?
So the Germans could march in the shade. :)
On 27 Feb 2004 09:02:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) scribbled:

Yup. He/she/it got me good. :-)
I e-mailed the author to congratulate & gave an invitation to come fishing with me for some monster lake trout as he/she/it is really good at trolling Yukon fish.
But I ain't outing him/her/it.
Luigi Who has removed the hook but is still trying to spew out the sinker. Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

What is rather interesting is, Delta was playing the numbers game on motor horsepower (horsepowere Luigi) long before Sears ever did. If memory serve me it appears in the ancient Delta text (dirty paper) as far back as the late 30's/early 40's in their comparison of repulsion/induction motors.
UA100
One time I think I dug up how they spec these fantasticlly high HP ratings and I believe the answer was...
1)run motor with no load present to the top end speed 2)Instantly clamp the shaft 3)Measure the peak current draw right before the windings vaporize 4)ta da! PEAK HP