Freud router

I popped for the $99 Freud on sale on Woodcraft and must say I'm disappointed. Here's why:

  1. There's way too much slop in the above table depth adjustment. The slop isn't just verticle. The bit wiggles horizontally as it is rising or lowering.

  1. The spindle lock is erratic. It takes too much futzing to get it to work.

  2. The adjustment tool is too short to reach the recessed fitting for the table-top clamp lock. Good thing I had a longer allen wrench on hand.

I'm going to give the router a little slack to take into account user error, but all in all it is less than I expected.

I'll be interested to hear from others on their experience.

Larry

Reply to
TD Driver

Now we know why it's 99 bucks. Thank you for being the guinea pig.

Reply to
-MIKE-

oink

-MIKE- wrote:

Reply to
TD Driver

Perhaps you are orally fixated and it is meant for those who are anally fixated.

Reply to
Ulysses

Reply to
TD Driver

The good news is, if you just bought it, you ran return it, for 90 days. A decent router is going to cost more than $99.

Reply to
Leon

PC is not what it used to be these days, you might want to reconsider still another brand. Bosch, Milwaukee. Triton, Makita, DeWalt.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

I actually got a pretty good little router from Sears for $40 that met my modest needs. Of course that was about forty years ago.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I got one and find that it works pretty well (at least much better than my PC 7529 LOL). My biggest complaint is that no matter how you set the router in the table you cannot get to both the adjustment hole and the clamp lock hole without moving the fence, which kind of defeats the whole idea. While I did notice some minor back and forth movement when adjusting the height, it appears to come back to the same point when relocked. I have no trouble with my adjustment tool reaching all three adjustments (i.e. the height adjustment, the clamp lock and the spindle lock) while in the table - other than having to move the fence to get to all three holes.

Reply to
dhall987