free 3D cad software?

There has been many posts about cad software in the past. However, many so callled freeware are crippled commercial demo. Since it takes some effort to learn a 3D cad software, I don't want to spend a lot of time to evaluate a demo only to discover the feature I need is crippled. Therefore, your advice is needed.

I'm looking for a free (or the least expensive) cad program that

-allows exact dimensions to be entered (e.g. a piece of wood that is

3.5-inch by 1.5 inch by 8 feet)

-can output the design with all dimensions labeled, like an archetectural drawing

-can view, rotate in 3D with simple surface (e.g. wood grain)

-can save/print the design

I checked out google's sketchup. It is easy enough to sketch, and I can even enter dimensions of object. But that part doesn't seem very well developed. I could not figure out how to enter the rotation angle of objects. Plus I don't think it can produce an output with dimensions labeled. But then, I've only spent 30 minutes playing with it.

What exactly are the differences between a modeling software and a CAD software?

Reply to
John

| I checked out google's sketchup. It is easy enough to sketch, and I | can even enter dimensions of object. But that part doesn't seem | very well developed. I could not figure out how to enter the | rotation angle of objects. Plus I don't think it can produce an | output with dimensions labeled. But then, I've only spent 30 | minutes playing with it. | | What exactly are the differences between a modeling software and a | CAD software?

John...

I've been using DesignCAD (and its DOS predecessor) for my woodworking projects and I think it works fairly well. It's not free; but the last time I checked, the price was under US$100, which seems like a good price for what I got.

I will warn you, from both personal experience and hearsay, that any richly-featured CAD package will present a significant learning curve - probably more or less in proportion to the number of capabilities built in...

[No afiliation with the publisher, etc.]

Morris Dovey

Morris, is that by IMSI? I bought my first CAD program, IMSI Designer for DOS in the Fall of 1985.

Totally agreed.

Reply to
Leon

If you have had drafting training and are familiar with AutoCAD, IntelliCAD is very inexpensive by comparison at about 1/8 the the cost and operates almost exactly like AutoCAD. CAD is still IMHO aimed at a target market and is not the type software that a computer company would load on to every computer that they sell. The more you know about drafting to start with the easier any CAD program will be to learn. If you cannot spell, a word process will have a bigger learning curve. If you cannot count, a financial program will have a steeper learning curve. If you cannot draw with a pencil exactly what you want a CAD program to do, well, you know the drill.

Reply to
Leon

There is definitely a dimensioning capability. It doesn't seem to like to do things on a fine scale, like to put a 3/8ths roundover for example. I also ran into problems trying to do miters, but again I didn't play too much.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Go to

Download the free trial version. It's kinda simple and straightforward, a simple drafting program. But it will make drawings (with dimensions). If you like it, the full-featured version is only $25.

Here's the thing. If you can make a drawing with a T-square and a pencil, you can learn every feature in this program in about an hour (except for the

3D). The program won't make you an expert, but it will enable you to produce nice, accurate, to-scale drawings in less time that you could do it with a T-square. If you want more, you're probably going to have to pay for more.

BruceT

Reply to
Bruce T

IMSI now owns Designcad. They bought it a couple of years ago. According to users, it was a better program before they got a hold of it.

Reply to
CW

IIRC IMSI was pretty basic. I used the arrow keys to draw lines. ;~)

BTY Autodesk sent me a tacky renewal letter stating that I could upgrade to

2007 for 4 or 5 hundred dollars until next spring, subscribe for about the same price every year or do nothing and be on my own. So much for customer support. You would think they would support their high priced products for more than 2 product changes. I finally down loaded IntelliCAD as you suggested and found it to be darn near exactly like AutoCAD LT. There are a couple of commands that I could not find, in particular the Tracking command. Other than that my next upgrade will probably be to IntelliCAD. Thanks again for that suggestion.
Reply to
Leon

Have a look at Turbocad. I bought last year's version, still shrinkwrapped, on ebay for around $20.

Reply to
AL

I downloaded it and could not find any hint that it supports 3D. Do you mean it takes more than an hour to find the 3D features?

Reply to
John

Tracking is a feature that I, and many others, have been wanting for some time. I'm sure they will get to it eventually. They do seem to be good about honest improvements rather than just upgrades for the sake of money.

Reply to
CW

I just checked the program again, and it enables one to create isometric (3D) projections. I have never used the feature, as I see no point to it. I started my career as a draftsman many, many years ago, so I am quite comfortable with 2-dimensional drawings. If 3D is really important to you, then I don't think Cadstd will be your cup of tea.

BruceT

Reply to
Bruce T

| IMSI now owns Designcad. They bought it a couple of years ago. | According to users, it was a better program before they got a hold | of it.

I upgraded from the MSDOS-only 2D predecessor to DesignCAD in 1999. Other than some DXF file interchange issues with a CAM package, I haven't had any problems with it - and haven't had any motivation to do subsequent upgrades.

Probably doesn't reflect well on me, but I've never used it in 3D mode. I'm just too used to drawing additional 2D views. :~|

Morris Dovey

Cadstd does not have 3D. Isometric projections are 2D line drawings. Other than visualization, there is little use for them. True 3D models are a virtual part. They can be rotated and any side or feature can be measured.

3D solids have mass and a center of gravity. The advantage to the woodworker are that a project can be entirely built on the computer, including all joinery, before a physical unit is made. 2D prints can be generated from the solid model with a few mouse clicks. No need to draw several views. I too am a board trained draftsman, although it has been years since I've done it that way. I do most all projects in 3D now, using 2D only for flat layouts. The learning curve is steep. Probably more than most hobbyists would be willing to deal with but, for those that do, it can do a lot for them.

Reply to
CW

Me too I dont do 3D however I will do Isometric drawings for that fixes 3D appearance. I do not really need the perspective views.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" snip

I've been using AutoSketch 9 from Autodesk for my woodworking projects. For $120 it works great and I can import/export DWG files. I also agree with you and Morris about 3D. I don't need it.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

I used Sketch way back in the mid 80's and it was bought by Autodesk and renamed AutoSketch. I had 3 or 4 versions of AutoSketch up to v2.1 and then Autodesk offered me an up grade to AutoCAD LT about 10 years ago. I have been using AutoCAD LT since. I may go back and try AutoSketch or move to IntelliCAD which works 99% like AutoCAD LT if AutoCAD LT ever disagrees with future OS's.

BTY there is a brand new CutList Plus version available now. 2006 is the newest and individual print sheets layouts and labels can now be printed.

Reply to
Leon

Go Intellicad. Stay as far away from Autodesk as possible. I really like a couple of their products (AutoCAD and Inventor) but the company sucks hard.

Reply to
CW

I most likely will. I think I would be taking a step backwards if I went back to AutoSketch from AutoCAD LT.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon"

I agree, it would be going backwards. Howerver, it easy to learn, very accurate and cheap. My post was really for those who are looking for new software. However, if I'm going to shell out $500 + bucks for CAD software, I think I would go with the industry standard as much as it irks me. Remember all the old word processors and spreadsheet programs from the past? ;~)

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa