Forrest or Freud (Dial-a-width) 8" dado sets. Opinions?

Anybody used either of these? Which one would you choose? Any problems installing either one on a left-tilt Unisaw?
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

I have a Mastercraft (Canadian Tire) and was very surprised how well it works and the clean cut. I probably won't be using my old stackable much anymore.
Steve Turner wrote:

I have the Freud and love it. I installed it on a left-tilt PM66. No problem.     j4

I have the freud dialawidth 8" on my right tilt unisaur. Nice dado blade I might add.... SH
If you want to study this subject a little more, determine what you are going to use the dado for. If it is plywood, go for either of the ones suggested. If you are working with solid wood, look into the Freud 300 series positive hook dado sets.

I think my Freud d-a-d is great. With a digital vernier you can dial it in extremely close. The cut is also very clean even with ply-board. I am glad I bought it after all the hand wringing I did to lay out the cash for it. Worth every penny. Wayne, Columbia MD

Woodworkers Journal for June 2004 (Volume 28 $3) reviews about 10 different 8" Stacked dado sets including the Forrest Dado King and the Freud SD508 Super Dado. The authors conclusion:
"... For best value honors, my vote goes to either the Freud Super Dado or the Everlast DS840. If spending a bit more isn't a problem, the Forrest Dado King should offer bullet proof performance over time. ..."
The review rated the cutting ability for Pine, Oak, Birch Veneer Plywood, Melamine particle board, and MDF. Each was given a 1-5 rating (5 is best) and both the Forrest and the Freud had 5's straight across.
There was also a sidebar that talked about the Freud SD608 Dial-a-width Dado. To paraphrase what I read into it, the author said it was basically the SD508 except one of the outer blades can be adjusted in .004 increments (didn't say how many increments) without having to remove the blade from the saw. He liked it.
Wayne

Has to be one of the best inventions in the last ten years. I have to take off not only the end blade, but all the chippers to reach the flat part of the arbor or else my shims get crimped by the threads. What a pain in the a$$.
Joe

increments
the
NoOne N Particular wrote:

The SD608 is the one I'm leaning towards; I really like the micro adjustment idea. Can't really fathom how it works in practice though. I'm assuming you have to put in the right number of chippers to get the width "close" to what you need, then micro adjust to the exact width. The question I have is how much range does the micro adjustment feature have? The width of the adjustable blade itself maybe (1/8")?
Anybody here actually own the Freud SD608?
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.
Steve Turner wrote:

Well duh, several guys here DID say they own it. I guess what I meant to say was: Of the guys who actually own this thing, what is the range of adjustment in the dial-a-width feature?
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

It comes with a chart for how many chippers to put on for the width you want to dado. It also comes with one 3/32 chipper for undersized plywood. The "range" is about a sixteenth inch +- or so. I've never measured it before. What I can say is I've had the non dial shim type before and this is waayyyy better! You definately won't be disapointed. SH

Slowhand wrote:

Thanks, Slow. I think you convinced me; now it's off to find a supplier that I want to deal with.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.
Here is the product description:
http://www.freudtools.com/woodworkers/rep/sawblades/Dadoes/html/Dadoes_1.html
It would appear that you have to get close and then the dial allows a .004 adjustment. I assume you have to be short not long when making up the stack.
Steve Turner wrote:

I'm running the Forrest on a General 650(left tilt). Very reliable, and clean. A real work horse. Haven't tried the Freud-dial yet to compare, but the Forrest is spot on. (Forrest should come up with a better storage case though)
Cheers,
aw