Flutes continued

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:53:48 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks scrawled the following:

Oh, I see what you ended up with. You hollow-ground the edge to quicken the transition a bit. I thought you might be hanging up on the opposite edge, the 45 degree away from the point, hence my original post. Mea culpa.

-- We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. -- Abigail Adams, letter to John Adams, 1774

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That's a neat idea. Have you made this jig?

Only in my mind; however, many years spent doing machine tool design work, probably gives me an edge.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Nah, you're wrong; taper looks better. IMO of course. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

How about sanding the edge of the plastic base plate on the router itself to make the transition smoother whether going up or down.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Not a bad idea. I think this is what Leon suggested above. In the process of making more practice cuts, I found that with the radius'ed wedge and a feathered edge on the wedge works nicely. Coming down the wedge seems to be the best approach.

Interesting note, that in discussing the tapered stopped flutes with the client, he wanted tapered stopped flutes on both ends of the flute (Uggghhhh) I would need a ramp at both ends (go down and then go up a ramp). Fortunately, I talked him out of it.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Ask him if he would like some nice decorative burn marks. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Interesting note, that in discussing the tapered stopped flutes with the client, he wanted tapered stopped flutes on both ends of the flute (Uggghhhh) I would need a ramp at both ends (go down and then go up a ramp). Fortunately, I talked him out of it.

No kidding. Some times you just have to put your foot down, for you sake. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Have you tried it the other way ? Start from the taper and work into the flute .

I appreciate your candor Leon. It is difficult to control/prevent the shutter. As the base fist hits the wedge (which is knife sharp) it stops and then climbs. This is mirrored in the flute. You can see a tiny 'step' in the bottom of the flute before it transitions to the climb up. I was able to make the step less noticeable with sandpaper by curling it into a radius that complements the flute. Not sure what I will do yet. The neander method of using a gauge might look nicer, but I dont own any gauges. :^|

Reply to
Jim Northey

If you need a good reason to help talk him out of tapers, altogether....

The idea behind fluted trim is to architecturally imitate Romam columns, which are not tapered.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Bothe ends is how I've always done it.

... The customer is always right (and a pain inthe ass)

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com