Flush trimming work top

I have now completed construction of my workbench top -- 2 sheets of 3/4" mdf laminated together and edge banded.
I now need to flush trim the edge banding using my flush trim bit in a hand held router. The top measures 96" by 32" and I can trim the long sides with the work top stood on its side on the floor. But how do I handle the short sides which would be 8 feet above the floor when stood on end. I'm tall, but not that tall.
I know I could hand plane the short sides but I am practising with the router and assorted bits.
Many thanks.
Malcolm Webb
snipped-for-privacy@cix.co.uk says...

Hold the top with one hand and run the router with the other while standing on bench stool. Have someone take pictures while you do this so they can post them in abpw later.
Have you been to Target today? LOL --dave (see wtf post above)
says...

Why couldn't you just lay it on some sawhorses the way it would normally go, and run the router sideways along it?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

I thought of that, but has anyone done it and is it safe?
Malcolm Webb
snipped-for-privacy@cix.co.uk says...

Excuse the earlier post. Anyway, I've done it the way that was described above. Depending on the thickness of the edge banding material you may see a wavy appearance due to the router being balanced on the 1 1/2" edge, which is hard to hold steady. The way I prefer to do it is with a home-made jig such as the one found here: http://www.patwarner.com/vertical_trim_subbase.html
Hope that helped.

Sure. Just secure the piece with a couple of clamps so that it's stable.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
Yes and yes.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:09:18 GMT, "Mike Marlow"

yup... that would be my question, too.. *g*
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:38 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), snipped-for-privacy@cix.co.uk (Malcolm Webb) wrote:

Clamp a 2x4 or a couple of layers of 3/4 material flush with the edge banding. This will double the width of the surface that your router will lay on. That should give you enough stability to hold the router on it's side.
Mike
Somebody is going to raise hell about this being unsafe but screw 'em. Stand on a ladder.

Stand
I'm gonna keep an eye out for more of your posts.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 02:45:58 GMT, "Mike Marlow"

<G>
Enjoy yourself.

There was an article in the UK papers here not many weeks ago about a guy standing on a ladder using a chain saw. His wife was holding the ladder. He reached too far, slipped, and dropped the chain saw. I won't go into the gory details -- but the article made reference to the wife's funeral.
I don't stand on ladders with power tools. But I do have a mobile tower scaffold for cutting my hedges. Now there's a thought!!
Malcolm Webb