Workbench top?

I have been studying everyones work benches and noticed that most of them are built out of maple. I understand that maple is very hard but I don't think it is readily available where I live (Sask, Canada). Birch is very common here but is it anywhere close to being as hard as maple? Does anyone see anything wrong with using birch for a work bench? Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

You can make a suitable workbench from planed and glued-up pine 2x4s so I'm sure birch would be quite suitable. Maple is awesome but VERY expensive for a workbench and most of us can't afford it.

Reply to
Bruce

If you have a Grainger near you they will sell you a 30"x72" maple bench top for about $200. I bought one and glued one up. The one I made cost more.

BTW I thought the maple was the Canada national tree or something. Don't y'all have a maple leaf on your flag?

Reply to
Greg

I checked the Grainger website and they have complete work benches but I didn't see just the maple top.........do you have to go right to a store to buy the top alone? I think there is alot of maple in eastern Canada but not here in Saskatchewan. Do you guys get maple shipped to you from long distances or do you have some locally? Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

I am in Florida, we don't have any maple around me and that's where Grainger sold me mine. It was pickup. They do have them in the catalog but shipping will get you. These are Edsal products (printed on the box) and you can see them on the Edsal web site. This thing came packaged with the back brace for the workbench, just no legs. They assemble their workbenches on modules. Buy what you want. I am using this as a kitchen island top. The one I glued up was the matching peninsula but it was longer than I could buy and has an irregular shape on one end.

Reply to
Greg

Grizzly has them. I've never seen them in person, but I've seen them in their catalog. Here's a link.

Reply to
Bestest Handsander

birch is fine.

Reply to
Bridger

Reply to
Thomas & Jackie Bray

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 22:31:23 -0700, Bridger scribbled:

Yup. Mine is Douglas Fir with a couple of birch pieces where the dog holes go. If you want a maple slab, you can get one at Lee Valley.

"no" with "yk" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Being a work bench, with work being the key word, I really don't see any big working advantage to a maple top. My present bench is now about 15 years old and is made up of laminated fir. Works just fine and If it gets messed up, dinged, dented, spilled on, needs a hole here or there, etc I'd don't cringe, just sand/plane it down every few years. .

Reply to
Mike G

What about Windsor Plywood on Miller Ave in Saskatoon. They sell maple :)

Reply to
Dave Keith

Mine is made from a solid core birch door. Very heavy duty. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Guy

I got the rough maple for my workbench from the Windsor Plywood in Langley BC. Check with your local Windsor to see if they bring in any there. The wood I got was ~1" thick and a variety of widths and lengths. My jointer, planer and table saw turned it into the top below.

Reply to
Ray Waterman

I made my top from Southern Yellow Pine, and works great. Maple was too pricey for me! As long as the birch is firm, and has no pith or soft spots, it should be fine.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Hey!

Nice to here someone from home............are you from Saskatoon? Do you happen to know what the price of the maple is? Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

Ray,

Nice bench. Thanks for the info. Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

Greg,

Nice bench and thanks for the info. I see in your pictures that you have a Delta jointer............what size is it? How do you like it? Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle

I bought two of them. Would do it again, I have had them for about 2 years and they have worked well. I could not have bought the wood and laminated it for the price I paid for the tops, even with shipping.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Thanks. Yes, I have a 6" DJ - it works great. They had a few problems with warping fences on the earlier models, but I got a later, improved version with a new casting - it's straight within .002" and no problems at all. Fairly quiet for a jointer, and I love the longer, taller fence.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Greg,

Do you find that a 6" is large enough or would an 8" be worth the price difference? Regards. -Guy

Regards. -Guy

Reply to
Guy LaRochelle