'Floating' drawer bottom necessary?

I'm making a jewellry cabinet with small drawers about 4 inches square. I think I'll be using rabbet joints on the sides.
Do drawers always need 'floating' bottoms for movement of wood regardless of size?
Thanks
At 4 inches square you COULD ignore the floating bottom rule.
David.
Brooklin wrote:

Brooklin asks:

No, but it is sensible to be safe. Small plywood bottoms might glue in nicely, but what's the point?
Charlie Self "Did you know that the White House drug test is multiple choice?" Rush Limbaugh
That small, shouldn't hurt.
Preston

That small, I wouldn't think twice - go ahead and glue it. I've glued full size drawers made from soft woods and drawers made from hardwoods before I ever heard that you shouldn't and I've never once had a problem with the glued drawers. I understand the principle behind not gluing the bottoms, but like I said, I've done it a lot and never once had a problem.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
Brooklin wrote:

Do it if only to avoid scraping glue.
Don't know exact size limit with solid wood, but I think any drawer under 8 inches in length and width wouldn't need a floating bottom. Of course if the sides and ends are plywood, you don't need a floating bottom. All of my drawers with plywood sides and ends have glued bottoms and these include drawers upto 30 inches wide and 18 inches deep. Some of those bottoms are plywood, others are 1/4" tempered masonite. My computer desk has a drawer with a solid wood (oak) front and the rest is plywood that is glued and is still solid after many years (was originally made for a Commodore 64 so you figure the age.
Brooklin wrote:

The only time you need a floating bottom in a drawer is when the bottom is made from boards. When it is made from plywood or masonite, don't bother floating it, as they are both dimensionally stable.
If the bottom is not an entineered product, I'd float it no matter what size it is.
scott