I'm finishing a table top made from Ash. I sprayed one coat of sanding
sealer and multi coats of Lacquer. This is the first time I use lacquer in
finishing. It seems though a couple of thing are happening. The finished
product first of all dries quick. This is great, but I have a couple of
areas on the table that are not shiny. It's almost as if the finish is
drying to fast and with the overspray from the gun it's hazing the previous
pass. So I figured I would cut the finish with 2 parts Lacquer and 1 part
thinner. It sprayed easier but I still have one spot that is not as shiny
as the rest. What do I do? Would a HVLP sprayer fix this? I'm using
around 30 to 40 PSI with a traditional gun. Or should/could I polish it to
a nice sheen and what would I use?
Any comment would be appreciated,
If it is humid where you are maybe you have got a moisture blush.
This is not at all uncommon in this humid weather since lacquer
solvents are normally quite fast evaporating and the rapid dry tends
to cool the surface a bit. When the drying surface cools below the
dew point you will get moisture condensation on the surface and that
will result in a cloudy (or even white) film.
If that is what you are getting, a blushing of a lacquer you need to
reduce it with a lacquer retarder, a solvent or solvent blend that's
much slower than conventional lacquer solvents. The retarder of
choice in the deep south is called "Butyl Cellosolve" (Union Carbide's
copyrighted name for the common solvent "Glycol EB"). Most people in
the business call it by the Union Carbide's name for the solvent.
If it is indeed drying to fast you need a retarder in the solvent. Back
I sprayed a lot of cars with lacer, I'd use a solvent that was designed
air temperature I sprayed at. Basically the solvent was considered
or "fast". Slow was used at higher air temps (greater than 85 if I
The Fast was for something like 70-80 and medium was for 75-85. A bit of
overlap. The price per
gallon was only $2-3 more per gallon than the hardware store stuff.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.