Finish problems

--WebTV-Mail-25775-10370 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
15 years ago, the cedar paneling in my house was finished with pure tung oil. Of course it never dried and on hot and humid days it remains a sticky mess. What can I do to seal it? Any ideas?
--WebTV-Mail-25775-10370 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-25775-10370--
robert hann wrote:

Glue on print outs of HTML posts.
--
dadiOH
____________________________

Get to a library or bookstore, and browse a copy of a good wood finishing book. Bob Flexner, Jeff Jewitt, and a few others.
You'll read that many cedars have a property that makes them inhibit or prevent curing of drying finishes, particularly varnishes & oils.
I'd consider alternate wall coverings. Stripping interior siding sounds like inhumane punishment.
Patriarch
I can give you a clue but don't have an exact answer.
I would determine what is the best solvent for tung. Might be alcohol, maybe acetone or possibly mineral spirits. I'm sure some Bob Flexner book has that answer. Wipe down and let dry a few times then coat with Shellac. Shellac seems to be the best covering film available. It is used to stop sap from seeping through a finish or mildew, etc. Then you can lacquer over the shellac if you like.

See the first paragraph here:
http://www.garrettwade.com/sdx/H35749.jsp
I don't understand why your walls are not dry and isn't this expected of varnish when applied in wet weather? Maybe you have a combination tung - one that is 15 years old and just plain strange?
Anyway, test!
Josie
--WebTV-Mail-2310-1241 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
Thanx for your response to my post. Your advice is well taken. I am puzzeled, though, by one thing you said. Why would I want to laquer over shellac? Please advise. Robert
--WebTV-Mail-2310-1241 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-2310-1241--
robert hann wrote:

It's sort of like your posting in HTML...a matter of resistance. Shellac has poor water resistance, HTML has poor virus resistance.
I am sure you know how to apply lacquer. Do you know how to post in text?
-- dadiOH ____________________________
It would be helpful if text you are referring to was included with your post.
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:28:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (robert hann) wrote:

nospambob wrote:

You want me to include his HTML?
--
dadiOH

You could set your own reader to read all newsgroups in plain text.
Josie
Jois wrote:

Nope, OE 5.5 doesn't have that and I have no desire to upgrade. Better that the OP learn that posting in HTML - and/or including attachments - is a no-no in non-binary groups such as this.
NO, aimed at his post.