Finish for mahogany deck chair

I just assembled a mahogany adirondack chair to be used outside on the deck. I originally thought I would just use some Minwax Polyurethane that I already have but according to the manufacturer's web page, "mahogany is a dense wood and should not be treated with finish products meant for softer woods". They recommend their own finishing product but don't list the price. Would anyone care to comment on whether the Minwax Polyurethane would work on mahogany or, if not, suggest another product from another manufacturer that might be available locally (and probably cheaper)?

Thanks John

Reply to
John Richards

Spar varnish. Exterior grade.Tom

Reply to
tom

Last years I built a bench and a couple of tables from mahogany. I used Penofin oil on it. There are UV inhibitors in it. A quart will do a few chairs. If your local dealer does not have it, try

a varnish, it is easier to keep up rather than scrape and sand after a few years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes Penofin. Other than that any film finish will look like crap in a year or two if the chair endures any real weather (sun, or rain/snow). It will be pretty much impossible to repair without a complete dissamble and total sanding.

Or no finish at all. Mahogany is one of the woods that can take it. Just don't let the legs stand in water, mud lawn for the whole winter.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

a} all 'SPAR' varnish is 'exterior grade' . . . that's what it's specifically for

b} DON'T use it for this application . . . unless you want your butt 'glued' to the chair . . . especially in warm weather.

c} My personal preference is initially a good, soaked in coat of Teak Oil. Followed by an additional / occasional wipe downs as YOUR environment and tastes dictate.

Ron Magen

Minwax poly WILL work on mahogony, but you don't want to use it for outdoor projects. I like to use a marine varnish on outdoor projects, because 1)it has UV protectants, 2)it's flexible, so when the wood contracts in the winter and expands in the summer, it will flex with it, and 3) it's waterproof. On top of all that, the marine (captain's varnish, i think) varnish I use is oil-based, so when it penetrates, it accentuates the grain without raising it, like water-based products will do. This means less sanding for you!! It's a win-win.

Reply to
daveturns05

Thanks all for the comments. I researched Penofin and it looks like a good option. Just ordered a quart online - no dealers nearby.

John

Reply to
John Richards