Finally...Fine Woodworking

Page 1 of 2
So I just obtained the entire collection of Fine Woodworking Magazines, having kept my eyes open for the past few years. I had thought of getting the digital collection, but there's something about being able to sit down in my reading chair and thumb through those old magazines that just feels....good. I must be getting old - I'm starting to collect things! I now have the complete Woodsmith, ShopNotes and the aforementioned FWW. Any other recommendations? I simply "love" building new shelves on which to store my accumulated treasures. JP ********************************************* <sigh> (of contentment this time)
On 3/04/11 7:05 PM, Jay Pique wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pD262&cat=1,46096,46105
--
Froz...

Jay Pique wrote:

Congratulations on completing your collection. I keep thinking I need to learn how to discard things. My wife and I both like books. I've started placing antique tools in front of the books on the shelves, mine that is. Square footage isn't exactly in great abundance here; you evidently have more. Enjoy!
Bill
"Bill" wrote in message

My wife and I have the same affliction. So we put up a bunch of 7' bookcases and discovered all that did was absorb all the books scattered around the house and concentrate them in one place--but we still had no room for new books. So we sold (to used bookshops) or donated (to the local library) forty or fifty boxes of books. That allowed us a year or two of buying new books, if we ignore the twenty or thirty boxes of books we still have in storage. I'd consider one of those electronic book gadgets, but it seems that few of the books I'd be interested in are offered for any of those devices. Somebody has a back-breaking job ahead of them when we kick the bucket.

A friend who is a Professor was evicted from his second-floor apartment for a structural reason. It seems his book collection was damaging the ceiling in the unit below. My guess would be he has well over 10,000 volumes now.
If you have to get the boot, that is a classy reason.
When they come up with an e-book reader you can mark in, that has a place for marginalia and other notes, it will be a headline unit.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 17:38:55 -0800, "Edward Hennessey"

I suspect it won't be long. I mark up PDFs now.
I gave my wife a color Nook for Christmas. She loves the thing.

I believe you can do that now. I Think I can take notes on my Sony. Regardless, if you Like books, the ebooks are only a replacement for stuff you might not want to keep and enjoy as a Book.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

When they come up with ebook readers that can be dropped in the bathtub, flung across a room, dropped off a porch, have a hammer dropped on it, survive getting somewhat baked in a fire and when falling apart remain readable, and be readable for the next hundred years or so ....and don't require batteries..... I'll get one...
Oh yeah, and have first editions appreciate in value.
"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message

I knew somebody like that many years ago, most of his apartment was heavy-duty steel shelving full of books, he left himself just enough room to cook, bathe and sleep--the rest was books. I have to question how many of those books he actually read, I suspect a small minority. I guess it's like having chisels still in the package, never used, and still buying more.

For me the only reason to buy one would be the ability to download pretty much any book in print, when they do that they'll have me as a customer. And I'd want to be able to transfer the book to a storage drive and be able to reload it on the reader again later. I guess I'll be sticking with books for awhile.

I bought my wife a Kindle from Amazon for Christmas. Any book that you buy for the Kindle is archived so even if you delete from the e-reader, you can reload it again later at no charge.

I wonder if iTunes does that. After a lapse of several years I re-installed iTunes but it can no longer find my tunes - previous computer, previous HD I suspect.
Dave in Houston

I bought my wife a Color Nook for Christmas. They also save the purchased e-books so it can be reloaded. She had the older model and upgrading was automatic. I doubt any free books (Project Gutenburg, etc.) are saved or even savable anywhere, though.

Thanks to everyone for the comments on e-reader developments. What I hope the future holds is a machine that can incorporate underlinings, marks and notes from a stylus directly into the text--as well as allow their later local erasure from the saved document if a later reading advises that. It's been forever since a book has gone by without penciled annotations.
Here's a rather nifty picaissiette bathroom wall treatment suggestive of bibliomania:
http://www.neatorama.com/2011/03/07/mosaic-library-bathroom /
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
message

Just a footnote, "picassiette" is also rendered as "pique aissiette" which has been translated as "stolen from another's plate", probably because broken plates are a fundamental resource in the craft.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 16:57:57 -0800, "Edward Hennessey"

I'm sure that's on its way.

I feel that Amazon has shot themselves in the foot by not allowing your entire library to be bulk-downloaded after a replacement Kindle has been sent to you, after the third one has died, y'know? But, no. They want you to remember your list and download each one separately. Read all the (especially some of the lower-starred) feedback comments to get the overall tone of acceptance of the Kindlebeast. It's not all sweetness and light.

Scary, all those authors watching over my shoulder in the bath...
-- Life is full of obstacle illusions. -- Grant Frazier
"Edward Hennessey" wrote in message

That's cool, one-of-a-kind touches like that can really make a house a home.
On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 17:04:53 -0800, DGDevin wrote:

We live in a double-wide mobile home. There are bookcases everywhere. We just went to rummage sale this morning and came home with another dozen. We donate some of ours to the Meals on Wheels book sale some years, but then we go to the sale and buy others. Then there's my collection of woodworking and model RR magazines. It's an addiction!

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Funny how Woodworkers and Model Railroading go hand in hand. Know many Woodworkers that are Model Railroaders to. I build Steam Locomotives as a hobby. My latest project "The Challenger"
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

WOW! A favorite loco.
On 3/6/2011 4:46 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

You fellow railfans may or may not know there's a couple of newsgroups for you.
alt.binaries.pictures.rail alt.binaries.multimedia.rail
great bunch of guys in both groups!
--
Steve Barker