Filling and Staining Cedar

I'm building a cedar gazebo and and having problems with filling and staining.
I've filled several areas, but when I stain them, the fill doesn't take the stain and looks much lighter in color than the surrounding areas.
Is there a better way to fill and stain and get the color of the filled areas to match?