Fetus of Neander-tal replies

Hey everyone, thanks to all who kindly replied about wood hardnesses, it was all very enlightening, I found it all very useful.

Joinery:

And now I am curious about chisels. After many days of researching chisel products I figure I should buy as good a quaklity as possible for as cheap as possible, not the mind of the vastly experienced, but I found "Narex" brand chisels made in Slovakia, for very low prices. This bevel-edge-only group seems to be properly made with beech handles and heavy steal rings at the tops and bottoms of the handles. But the ferrules are made of Chromoly steel and I need to know if this is a viable quality for the learning stage in my own practice, working out of a book (for which I need a suggestion) and on a small work station using small, 1/4" thich boards. I also need a wood suggestion for practice too.

The Crown brand is nicely priced definitely but I do not like the handle construction, no metal rings and what they do show is a small brass colored ring that looks "thin", and rounded tops with no metal cap.

Henry Taylor chisels are acceptably priced if a bit too high but properly made mortice chisels.

Are there any U.S. brands that are decently priced and made "properly", other than plastic handles? Or any acceptable quality please.

Quote for the Narex brand at the seller's site:

"These Czech-made bevel edged chisels are a fine value. Stained beech handles feature well seated heavy steel ferrules to withstand vigorous mallet work; bolstered tangs are also ferruled for durability. The blades are excellent: fine-grained, nicely tempered chrome-moly steel that takes and holds a beautiful edge without brittleness. Don't let the price set your expectations too low--these chisels are inexpensive because of the strong dollar, not because they're cheap. Like most edge tools, they'll need sharpening before use; and like most chisels, they'll feel better and work better after you've gentled their long edges and flattened their backs. The set is presented in a fitted, felt-lined wooden box with c lasp. Sizes include 6mm (1/4"), 10mm (3/8"), 12mm (1/2"), 16mm (5/8"), 20mm (3/4") & 25mm (1") sizes. Inch equivalents are approximate."

Thanks all,

Alex

"Luminous beings are we, not this "crude matter".

--Yoda

Reply to
AArDvarK

Try findind some old stanley 50 series chisels if you can. Or 750 as far as that goes. The 50's are more of a butt chisel. The everlasting series were great tools and can still be had. Ive found them in good user condition anywhere from $15-50 a piece. Worth every penny plus they're antique so you get a real warm fuzzy feeling when using them! Old Millers Falls and Buck chisels were good too but stay away from the modern "Buck Bro's" chisels, they dont even open paint cans well.

Jim

Reply to
James D. Kountz

I use Two Cherries chisels. I have heard that Hirsch chisels are from the same factory, and can be had at slightly lower prices (Lee Valley is a good source). For mortising, I have an 8mm Hirsch -- the Hirsch mortising chisels are a little hard to find (got mine at Highland Hardware).

I have an old Buck Bros chisel that I use for scraping wet glue, too. :-P

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Okay thank you, but do you know of any acceptable American made chisels? Two Cherries or Hirsch's will be far too expensive for me and my learning stage... I have seen prices all over the 'net. I need to spend less on a complete set, double ferruled and strong steel.

Much appreciated,

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Okay thanks, I've got my eye on a set of 7 750's

1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 1" $85.00. All beautiful condition, is that a good price?

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

It's not a good price! If you buy at that price, you will be arrested for grand larceny. If you don't buy at that price tell me where they are so I can!

I've seen the 1/8" alone bring almost that much on eBay.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

If I had it to do all over again, I would probably just buy individual chisels as I need them like everyone suggests for router bits.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Wells

Sorry, Alex ... I don't know of any American made ones of comparable quality. I am pretty chea^H^H er, value-conscious, and I think it's a good move to spend a couple of extra bucks for good chisels. You'll probably use them frequently and they will last forever.

Good luck! Nate

Reply to
Nate Perkins