Festool, what kinda deal is that?

Page 3 of 4

Uh.......do they have blades for cutting granite? {:-)
Max (working on kitchen cabinets)

Max? Really? Okay... I forgot the goofy smirkicon.
Yes they do. Many diamond blades, dry (I dunno about wet & T75) can be had at 8.25 diam with any bore you like. I use a very old, but flawless Milwaukee sidewinder with a Bosch diamond blade and I cut quartz (even) like it it is stubborn hardwood. NOT in the customers' home. It makes clouds of dust.

I'm just finishing up the base cabinets for the "sink" side of the kitchen and I'm discussing countertop material with SWMBO. *I'm* inclined toward tile. We've had this for almost 24 years and there are *no* chips anywhere. http://picasaweb.google.com/contrarian32/Tile #
But the "Boss" may have different ideas.
Max
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 16:10:15 -0600, the infamous "Max"

I've always preferred carpets in the house (even in my bathroom) because of the cold feet factor.
And I've always disliked tile and solid surface countertops for their icy feel and extreme hardness on dropped items.
I installed (built 2 and installed 1 prefab) formica in the kitchen and still curse the tile in the bath (which was there when I moved in.)
YMMV
-- Jewish Zen: Be here now. Be someplace else later. Is that so complicated, already? ------------------------------------------------------------------------ www.diversify.com - Uncomplicated Website Design, here and now.

Hmmm. We have more tile than carpet in our house. The Missus likes the ease of keeping the tile clean. At my insistence, we have carpet in the master bedroom. Extensive use of "throw" rugs in the other bedrooms and the bathrooms keeps the tile from chilling sensitive feet.
As for the countertops, I like a "durable" surface even if it breaks dropped plates and saucers because the plates and saucers are cheaper (and easier) to replace.
Max (does his own tile work) .
wrote

Our new home, 30 years ago had all carpet and 10 years later we replace with expensive carpet. 14 years later replaced with all tile. Tile is sooooooooooooooooo much easier to maintain and clean and does not stink. You never reall realize how much a carpet begins to stink until you get rid of it, permanently. Allergies are not so much of a problem any more ever with pets.
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 07:39:30 -0500, the infamous "Leon"

It's also cold, hard, and much more dangerous. Fall on the carpet and you get a bump. Fall on tile and you can break bones or crack skulls and die much more easily. If you go barefoot, it's hard on the feet as well as being very cold (unless you spend $10k on radiant flooring.)
Methinks we're a full 180 apart on this one.

Sorry, Charlie. Carpets don't stink, PETS DO. If you have children (or other pets) lying on the carpet (and leaking) all day for years, you'll have odors to deal with.
-- In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it. -- John Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850

Cold? We have a difficult time getting cold here in El Paso. We *Love* cold.
It's not as easy to trip and fall on tile as it is on carpet. <G>
Barefoot. Ah........the coolness of a tile floor. .........exhilarating. But Mama don't allow no bare feet here.
Methinks you're right.
Max
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 10:17:07 -0600, the infamous "Max"

In the _winter_? Suuuure you do, Max.

But let the dog drool a bit and you slip and fall on tile. Ouch!

She prefers slippery socks?

Then you're with me? Together, we can get those cold and dangerous tile floors banned! ;)
-- In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it. -- John Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850
Larry Jaques wrote:

... snip

I'm wit' you on that one Larry. I don't like cold floors. Our bathroom has tile around the shower area and we've got throw rugs all over to make a warm path to the appropriate places. Tile lasts well, cleans well, but then so would bare concrete and both are equally comfortable to feet.
... snip

Rob Leatham
wrote

I'll have to say that I stumbled on the carpet more than I have the smooth tile.

New carpets don't stink but even with out pets and kids you bring in outside "unmentionables" on your feet daily and that sinks in deep. It is unbelievable what is under a 10 year old carpet.

Ah! Another believer!
Max
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 10:07:31 -0600, the infamous "Max"

Let me ask you pet owners a question: Why do you let your animals go without showers/baths for weeks when you wouldn't let yourself, mate, or kids do the same? And then why do you complain when the carpets stink? I don't get it.
-- In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it. -- John Ruskin, Pre-Raphaelitism, 1850
Larry Jaques wrote:

Around here, the cat is self-cleaning. Since the dog isn't, she lives outside.

Rob Leatham
wrote

Cats are self cleaning. I have five of them.
CW wrote:

all 6 of my cats get biweekly showers when the temps are above 70. swmbo and i set up a production line. one washs, rinses, hands off to the next for drying. repeat.
it cuts down on shedding dramatically.
they don't like the hair dryer tho. damhikt.

They don't like the clothes dryer, either. The stupid kitten looked like it was drunk for a week.
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:23:58 -0700, "chaniarts"

Showers eh? My cat would rip me to shreds if I tried that. Much easier to use a fine toothed comb. When I pull it out, she stretches out and purrs up a storm.

Kinda like Angela.......oh, wait.....a comb!
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 21:21:23 -0700, the infamous "LDosser"

6-1/2" (160mm) with 1" arbor hole. ~$20-40 a pop, not bad. Tenryu and Oshlun seem to be the brands.
-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin