Festool jigsaw close out vs. Bosch?

Last night I opened a thread looking for recommendations on a new jigsaw. The universal opinion seems to be that Bosch is the one to beat.

But I found a close out on the Festool PS 2 e, which I'm guessing is last year's model discontinued since the Trion ($250) came out. The price is $159, about the same as the Bosch or high end DeWalt.

Festool enjoys a great reputation and always seems to be highly regarded in reviews. So, even though it's not the latest and greatest, I'm thinking the PS 2 e might be a good deal.

Any thoughts? TIA.

Reply to
Ian Dodd

I can't offer an opinion on this without stating that we sell the Festool PS2e, so take this for what its worth.

I have used the Bosch for many years, having worn out one and replaced it with the updated "Clic" version several years ago. I loved the Bosch - it was avast improvement over my original Craftsman saw. It cut fast in the orbital mode, the blade changes were easy, and the variable speed was nice.

When we were considering the addition of Festool to our catalog, the Festool rep came in to demonstrate the tools. He pulled out the PS2e and I said, don't bother (proudly) I use a Bosch. He said, that's why I want to show you the PS2e. We started out making a cut of the end of a 2-1/2" thick piece of hard maple. Nothing fancy, just a nice smooth "S" shape across the end grain. The cut was smooth and straight up and down. So then he said, lets do another one. Sure. So he made a parallel cut about 1/8" from the first one. And the resulting piece was a 2-1/2" tall, 1/8" thick, "S" shaped piece of end grain hard maple with parallel sides! It just got better after that. The vacuum system sucked the chips right up, so you could see the cut line, it connected easily to the straightedge system for super accurate cuts, and the tilt mechanism was easy to use - and accurate. The downside? Festool uses thicker blades for added stiffness, although it will work with other manufacturer's blades, you won't get the same results.

Hope this helps. Feel free to call my tech director, Darin Lawrence, if you would like further info (1-800-443-7937).

Jim Ray, President McFeely's Square Drive Screws

Jim Ray

Let me give you one opinion based on my experiences with the Bosch

1584ASK that I own. It was built in Mexico, IIRC and frankly, I am pretty underwhelmed. The mechanism for changing blades is almost non functional and blade wander is all over the place. I don't know if I have a defective saw, but its performance has been a huge disappointment to me. That said, my Bosch routers work fine. The Bosch orbital sander I have is also borderline.......I ordered it and the jigsaw at the same time.

I saw that somewhere too. Frankly, it's worth a try. I now wish I had waited on that purchase.

Reply to
Joseph Crowe

I have never used Festools units but I understand that they are of Impeccable quality and would like to try some of there things. Yes they are very high price and that is what mainly keeps me away from them, But when they have a special they have a special and they really cut the price way down. If you get it let us know what you think I do not think that you would go wrong in getting one

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Joe as someone who has owned many Bosch Jig saws over a time when most of you guys with home workshops never even heard of them, You either definately have something wrong with your machine or you are doing something wrong with it.

It does sort of sound like you have not been able to lock the blade down properly Bosch jig saws just do not wander unless the blade is loose simple as that.

Get it checked out > > Last night I opened a thread looking for recommendations on a new

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Following up on this thought, I found a Metabo jigsaw for sale on eBay. No bids yet and asking to start at $85 plus $12 shipping. What do you know about Metabo? TIA.

Reply to
Ian Dodd

iandodd asks:

Excellent tools. Tend to lack extraneous fancy features, but exceptionally well made.

Charlie Self

"In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy as a prisoner's chains." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Reply to
Charlie Self

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Ian Dodd) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I have this jigsaw and like it quite a bit; I reviewed it on Amazon.

If I had known Festools cleared out their stuff for $150, I probably would have considered it instead :-)

ken

Reply to
Ken Yee

I also agree with Both the AEG and The Metabo I believe they both have a full 1" stroke wheras the beloved Bosch if Memory serves me right is onlt

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Thank for the tip! I just ordered one of the closeout Festool jig saws. Great deal on a great tool.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Does the Festool PS 2 e have a quick release blade? How do the Festool baldes compare with others in terms of price, logevity and availability?