"facings" question

If this is a repeat post, sorry...my service went down and I am not sure the original made... ---------------------------------------------------
I am making the base for a workbench, and am using douglas fur 4x4x8 posts for the legs. (Stringers will be dimensioned red oak. Carcass will be 2/3" red oak plywood.) However, even with the fur F4S, it is a stark contrast to the red oak. My plan is to rip some thin oak veneers for facings from existing inventory, use a benchtop planer to get it down to 1/4", and glue them on the fur posts. I will use a roundover bit on the facings for appearance sakes. To use the planer, I will need to use a sled.
Q: Has anyone actually used a sled to plan thin strips like this? Do the strips slide around? Do I need to use some carpet tape to secure them to the sled? Can I simply use 3/4' cabinet plywood for the sled? Etc, etc, etc..
Please respond ASAP as I would like to try this tomorrow..
It's "fir", not "fur" and your planer should plane down to 1/4" thickness without a sled. If not, get another planer.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03