facing vice with leather

What type of glue would you use to put a leather face on a vice? I was thinking 3M super 77, but want opinions.
Also when cutting the leather to shape, the old timers used a mallet and just hit the edges. Was it a rubber or wooden mallet?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 22, 6:19 pm, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

I use Barge Cement. It's pretty much the leatherworker's go-to contact cement, but any contact cement or caulk would do. Mainly it's getting the metal totally clean.

Hit the edges? Why? Do you mean to insure contact? Just glue up the leather oversize, clamp the vise shut, and then trim the leather to size following the vise jaw contours.
βœ–
I'm not attaching the leather to metal, I'm attaching to a wood face.
Because the old timers trimmed the leather by just hitting the leather. It was a very efficient way of trimming. I just don't remember whether I heard what type of mallet they used.
On 6/22/2011 8:40 PM, RicodJour wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
RicodJour wrote:

Good stuff.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
tiredofspam wrote:

I've cut gasket material by tapping around it with a ballpeen hammer (steel) but what's going to cut the leather? The gasket gets cut by the edge of whatever is receiving the gasket but I don't think your wood face will do much to cut the leather regardless of whether the hammer is wood or steel. Make your life easy...rim it with a knife.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Jun 22, 10:32 pm, tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> wrote:

Ah. You didn't mention that. In that case use Barge cement. ;)

I've worked leather for a while now, and I've never heard of trimming leather by pounding it. Frankly, I don't see how that's possible if you're mounting it to wood. You'd beat the living shit out of the leather and it still wouldn't cut it cleanly. If you were pounding it against a sharp metal edge, maybe, but why not just use a knife? Even if the efficiency somehow was less than this other method you read about, a knife couldn't take more than a few minutes to trim the leather on the vice faces.
βœ–

This comes propably from metalworking folks. They don't have so often a good knife with them as woodworkers. Leather can be cut by pounding with a heavy wooden mallet if there is a sharp edge under it. Sometimes things like bookmarks are made thus.
Much easier to use a knife or a plane. I use this to even leather ends.
http://www.biltema.fi/osteri/data/webpics_all/Web%20images%20Sorted/16/huge/16-444_h.jpg
seismo malm
Add pictures here
βœ–

That little plane is _SO_ cute, but for trimming leather, you just GOT to have one of these!
http://www.supertool.com/stanleybg/stan2.htm#num11

βœ–
On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 03:59:13 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

I couldn't resist these http://goo.gl/OLtFv
but these are even cuter, wot? http://goo.gl/cVftl
-- Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is propably collectors item. Spokeshaves work pretty well with leather and so does almost all little planes. For example Mujingfang makes suitable ones, too bad nobody is selling them on Ebay (Dictum in Germany is selling them but it would propably be cheaper to get them from Hong Kong directly).
http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product/702946/Block-Plane/detail.jsf
seismo malm
Add pictures here
βœ–
"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

Just about any contact cement should work. I've used Pliobond and Weldwood with success.

I've never heard of this before. Could also have been a rawhide mallet. Art
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd glue leather to wood vise inserts with super77, contact cement, or good old Titebond.

Wood mallet. You don't want to break down the lower surface but you want as solid and flat a hit as possible.
-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams
Add pictures here
βœ–
RE: Subject
Trim learher proud with an Xacto knife.
Attach leather with Barge cement.
File leather flush with a 10" flat bastard file.
Grab a beer and adnire your handy work.
Have fun.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–

I glued mine with yellow glue, cut close with a knife, cleaned up with a flush trim bit and then put an eigth-inch roundover on it. No problems at all, other than the leather isn't real tacky so stuff tends to want to slide a bit. I wonder if epdm would be a better way to go? JP
Add pictures here
βœ–

Leather is very often treated with oils&waxes (etc. this trade has got very much variance). So it might help if you vipe the surfaces with acetone or isopropyl alcohol.
seismo malm
Add pictures here
βœ–