Face up/down for cuts

Wanted to double check before I cut anything...
Is it face up on TS, down for circular saw?
Thanks
Generally. You tend to get splintering as the blade exits the cut. But try it yourself on some scrap.
-j

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:24:49 +0000, Corey wrote:

the work on the good face. Thus for a table saw it is good face up. Circular saw, good face down. YMMV.
dga
Hi Corey,
You want the blade to enter the "good" side first, so in the case of the TS, the blade is rotating down into the table (so to speak). With a circular saw, the blade rotates up from the bottom into the base plate.
So like Charlie said, you were right!
Lou

;~) You might want to reword that. On every TS that I have seen the blade hits the bottom side first.
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 05:43:20 GMT, "Leon"

It might "hit" the bottom first, but it _cuts_ into the top side.
On a decent TS, it shouldn't matter (most times, most materials). If you are seeing chipout, then the blade or the alignment isn't what it could be.
You'll also find that a hand-held circular can give a much better cut if you give it a decent blade. They're usually supplied with some awfully coarse do-everything blade. Most of us though spend our time slicing down plywood sheets on trestles, for which a finer blade will give a much less splintered finish.
--
Smert' spamionam

Yes I realize this but his comment was that the blade should enter the good side first. All TS blades enter the bottom first.

Unless you are using a tenoning jig. -j

I work face up whenever possible. it means having your tools well tuned up and having high quality, sharp blades, but I find I make less stupid mistakes that way. sometimes you *have* to work face down, like if the saw bevels the wrong way, but otherwise I avoid it.