Face Plate Needed for old Craftsman Wood Lathe

Where can I find a 6" face plate with 3/4" threads for my old Craftsman lathe?

Six-inch? Dunno. Don't think Sears ever sold one. But you could buy three- and eight-inch faceplates at Sears as recently as a couple years ago.
Try crossposting to rec.crafts.woodturning also.

Oneway can custom make faceplates to fit pretty much ANYTHING. http://www.oneway.ca /
Grizzly has faceplate "kits" - you buy the threaded insert separately, although it's 8". http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2004/092.cfm
If those fail, try rec.crafts.woodturning.
Don Whipple wrote:

As common as dirt.
But first, a word of warning, you may not like the prices you find at the woodturning boutique catalogs. To that end, I have a spare 5 1/4" Gen-U-Whine Sears face plate that I could part with. Ping me on the back channel.
Otherwise you have,
Sears.
or,
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/frames/frameset_centers.html
or,
www.craftusa.com
or,
www.packardwoodworks.com
or,
www.woodturner.org
Look for a Links page on the last site.
Oh, and look for 3/4-16.
UA100
No personal experience here, but I knew someone with the Grizzly faceplate "kits" and he said it did not run true. Get one a sears or from Unisaw A100 Tony D.

Don Whipple wrote:

Try Barry Haythornwaite. He makes steel ones that won't crack like the cast iron ones may, and his prices are right. snipped-for-privacy@pacifier.com
--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"
Gerald Ross wrote:

Aside from dropping them (which I've done enough with no problems) what do you have to do to crack a face plate?
UA100
I don't understand why anyone would need a 6" faceplate unless you're turning something about 18" diameter or larger.
Try this link - I bought a 2" faceplate from him for my Delta Homecraft lathe, and it's fine for anything I can turn inboard.
http://www.donpencil.com /
Jon Endres
Jon Endres wrote:

At the risk of losing a potential sale of my 5 1/4" to the original poster I'd have to agree with you Jon. When I started with my Craftsman lathe (50's vintage cast iron bed with 9" swing) I uses a 3" screw center face plate and eventually had another 3" screw center turned down to 1 1/4" which I used for a good 90% of what I turned. Now granted I turned smaller lidded bowls (bowels in rec.speak) but I think I can count on two hands the number of times I used a 4" face plate.
UA100

(bouls, David)
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net