Face Plate Needed for old Craftsman Wood Lathe

Where can I find a 6" face plate with 3/4" threads for my old Craftsman lathe?

Reply to
Don Whipple

Six-inch? Dunno. Don't think Sears ever sold one. But you could buy three- and eight-inch faceplates at Sears as recently as a couple years ago.

Try crossposting to rec.crafts.woodturning also.

Doug Miller

Oneway can custom make faceplates to fit pretty much ANYTHING.

has faceplate "kits" - you buy the threaded insert separately, although it's 8".
those fail, try rec.crafts.woodturning.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

As common as dirt.

But first, a word of warning, you may not like the prices you find at the woodturning boutique catalogs. To that end, I have a spare 5 1/4" Gen-U-Whine Sears face plate that I could part with. Ping me on the back channel.

Otherwise you have,

Sears.

or,

or,

or,

Look for a Links page on the last site.

Oh, and look for 3/4-16.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

No personal experience here, but I knew someone with the Grizzly faceplate "kits" and he said it did not run true. Get one a sears or from Unisaw A100 Tony D.

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Try Barry Haythornwaite. He makes steel ones that won't crack like the cast iron ones may, and his prices are right. snipped-for-privacy@pacifier.com

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Aside from dropping them (which I've done enough with no problems) what do you have to do to crack a face plate?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I don't understand why anyone would need a 6" faceplate unless you're turning something about 18" diameter or larger.

Try this link - I bought a 2" faceplate from him for my Delta Homecraft lathe, and it's fine for anything I can turn inboard.

Endres

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

At the risk of losing a potential sale of my 5 1/4" to the original poster I'd have to agree with you Jon. When I started with my Craftsman lathe (50's vintage cast iron bed with 9" swing) I uses a 3" screw center face plate and eventually had another 3" screw center turned down to 1 1/4" which I used for a good 90% of what I turned. Now granted I turned smaller lidded bowls (bowels in rec.speak) but I think I can count on two hands the number of times I used a

4" face plate.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

(bouls, David)

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod