Face Jointing Wide Boards

I have read many of prior threads on this topic and believe that my best option is to rip, joint, plane and edge glue. But every suggestion to do this starts with "rip down the center of the board on your tablesaw". Given that i have not jointed an edge (no flat face) how does one rip if the board does not have a straight edge?

Russ

Reply to
Russ Stanton

A number of approaches:

Snap a chalk line and use a bandsaw if you've got one... Failing that, tack a straight board to the object board and put the straight board against the fence. A caution here is that if the board does not lie reasonably flat it may bind while being pushed through the table saw. If it's not reasonably flat I'd either tack or double stick tape some shims on the bottom of the board to keep it from rocking as it goes through the saw. You could also build a sled and run it through your thickness planner.

The neander approach would be to use a frame saw or a rip panel saw to saw down a chalk line. -- OR -- Use a hand plane to get the board flat enough on one side that it doesn't rock and then run in through your thickness planner. -- OR -- just use handplanes.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in news:YM8Eg.8899$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

You can also use a flush trimming bit in your router, s oouple of clamps and a straight board. I have done that on many an occasion and it works well.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

Cut a plywood sled longer than your board and clamp your board on top. Use the plywood edge against the fence to guide it in a straight line. The board that you are trying to straighten should hang over the plywood edge opposite the fence side.

Or

Use a band saw.

Reply to
Leon

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in news:Xns981FCF5ADBEE8mc2500183316chgoill@10.232.1.1:

face jointing? Never mind.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

you can also make a router-planer jig. mine will flatten a fairly wide face (maybe 13" or so). It is easy to make one that will go even wider. The trick is to set up the guide rails so they are perfectly on plane with eachother, since your board will end up as flat as they are.

I will post a pic of it in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking shortly.

Reply to
Andrew Williams

Face jointing to get the board flat enough to safely run it through the table saw for ripping... Ever run a twisted board through a table saw and have it rock and get grabbed by the blade? It's an experience I have no plans on repeating. ;~)

Alternatively forget the ripping and use the thickness planer and/or hand planes as described.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin