Eye protection

Curious about decent eye protection when ripping on a TS, I get all the little flecks into my eyes at the shop. The only protection I can use the shop provides (adult ed.) in the form of very old poor quality ones with plastic lenses that are scuffed. With these, my face is hot and sweaty and it totaly fogs up the insides, really rediculous. Anyone know of the great make and model? I don't mind spending the money, I think it's worth it.
TIA,
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

I use the AOSafety face shield, thirteen bucks at Lowe's: <http://www.lowes . com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productIdt556-429-90028-10000>
Doesn't fog, slips easily over prescription eyeglasses and/or ear muffs, and, best of all, protects the entire face. Although the eyes are the most important, they are not the only things on your face that need protection.
--
Regards,
I'm a carpenter and wear safety glasses most of the day. I've found the newer De Walt glasses to be really comfortable. In fact, I often forget I'm wearing them. Here's a link to similiar: (Amazon.com product link shortened)41690542/sr=8-12/ref=sr_1_12/002-8173408-4804051?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n"8013 I like the regular pair I have so much, I bought a shaded pair for working outside. These are definately the best glasses I've used so far. WAAAAYY better then the standard issue UVEX. I bought a 4 pack at HD for about $20. The shaded ones were around $6. --dave

AAvK wrote:

A full face shield is less prone to fogging and can be tipped down enough to protect one's throat as well.
--

FF

On 6-Mar-2006, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

But they are not rated for eye protection. As per the AOSheild ad that Doug posted:
"Always wear goggles or glasses with a faceshield"
I prefer a faceshield too, but wear glasses underneath. The good thing is that you don't need the easy-to-fog goggles and can use good quality safety glasses instead. The face sheild minimizes the dust getting around the glasses and means you don't need the full-coverage goggles.
What bugs me is that they've stopped selling replacement clear plastic face protectors for the shield and I have to buy a complete face shield (head frame and all) if the clear plastic gets too scratched up. I hate the waste more than the extra cost.
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

I do too. I used ot get industrial quality safety glasses through my employer, but don't anymore. At that time, the safety glass mandated for consumer glasses was less strict than that for industrial applications. This is for prescription glasses.
My next glasses will be polycarbonate.

Yes.
I've heard that you can extend the life of the face shield by covering it with a clear platic wrap from teh grocery store. I'm about ready to replace mine so I'll be trying that soon
Also, the material is pretty thin. Maybe you can buy poycarbonate sheet and roll your own.
--

FF

Don't know what face shield you're using, but one I bought from Lee Valley Tools sells replacement plastic for their shields.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p1226&cat=1,42207

Yep, that's the same one they sell at Lowe's (AOSafety #90028).
--
Regards,

AOSafety's web site describes it as "impact resistant over a wide range of temperatures" and says it meets ANSI Z87.1-1989. [...]

Lowe's doesn't sell the replacement lenses any more, but lots of other places do. Best deal I found was Do-It-Best hardware: we have several outlets locally, and they ordered a couple for me at about six or seven bucks each, no charge for shipping. The AOSafety part number is 90030; if you Google that, you'll find plenty of hits.
--
Regards,
I like the Starlite safety glasses. They're fairly comfortable and don't distort my vision, and they're cheap enough to replace when they get scratched up.

Lee Valley has some that are bifocal that match your prescription. They are great for those of us who are, shall I say, "experienced."
Glen
AAvK wrote:

Wear whatever is comfortable so you'll keep them on.
My problem is when I try to wear a dust mask with my glasses. The glasses start to fog up and I am forced to choose one or the other. I even tried the nuisance mask with the exhaust vent in the front with no improvement. Do the 'fogproof' glasses work?
I don't think something like this would be comfortable: http://www.discountsafetygear.com/msaad30re.html
OK thanks much guys. I guess the best choice for me is a pair that are large area to block as much as possibe and open for air flow rather than goggles.
Much appreciated for the tips and pointers.
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

FastCap sells pairs for like $4.00 or something. I got a set at the last IWF in Atlanta. They're pretty good for the money. I go through them in a hurry though. JP