Extra long brad points in HSS please

Page 1 of 2

I need a source for such bits, 10" long with full length flutes in HSS. It is a REALLY huge search online, any sure thing pointers for a good reasonable price?
(for bench bolting the trestle) any help needed and apprreciated, TIA,
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

Why not ship augur?

Duane,
I have solid center augers, square tapered head type, they won't stay straight in the SCDJ as the flutes are too far apart (SS bits actually have one flute). I suspect the same problem with a ship auger.
The cutting end of the #8 (1/2") won't fit through the 1/2" guide hole either, but I can install a regular shank brad point bit into the Yankee 2101-10 brace, the chuck is made for it. Reason enough?
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

If mediocre quality is OK for your application, Harbor Freight sells a very reasonably priced set.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Extra long brad point bits in HSS? Take another thorough look, I did.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

if you are unable to find the bits you want in a brad point, consider getting them in regular 'ol point and learn to grind a brad point. it's not as hard as you might think...

Thanks, I know that can be done but extra long regular bits are a little less cost than brad points, especially in HSS, so there isn't much "point" (lol). Also, I don't use an electric grinder, know of the tutorial website?
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

here's some basic info on drill bit sharpening: http://www.woodcraft.com/articles.aspx?articleid &7 http://yarchive.net/metal/drill_grinding.html http://yarchive.net/metal/straight_hole_wood.html
the difference will be obvious once you get into it- but you will need a grinder to work with the high speed steel. what you will need is either a narrow grinding wheel or a metal cutoff disk.
are these long enough? http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?subcat=2.2.1 http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID !42&FamilyIDw3

Ijust checked and couldn't find them either. I have a set at home that I'm sure I bought from HF. Either I'm istaken or HF is not currently stocking them. When I get to my shop I'll check and see if they are still packaged with a SKU number.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:12:23 GMT, the opaque snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net (Lawrence Wasserman) clearly wrote:

I've seen them at the local HF store and almost bought them. You're right, they're not on the website now.
- Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag? - http://diversify.com Full Service Web Application Programming

Thanks Larry, actually I don't want them from HF, if I wanted Chinese I would buy these ones:
http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 0-548
...a more decent price for almost exactly what I want but I think the points are not like the "flat" cutting knives like the Lee Valley ones, "rounded up to the spurs" which is designed for soft woods but the flat cutters will do better for both hard and soft.
I'll just buy the overpriced Fuller for **** sakes.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Try Garrett Wade www.garrettwade.com They have brad points 12" long for a decent price.
AAvK wrote:

http://www.garrettwade.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID 5781&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iProductID5781
Uh-huh... and I wouldn't mind if you proved it.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Try
http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?lGen tail&itemID7057&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID7057
Item # 35N05.01 $12.95 for a set of 7.
AAvK wrote:

http://www.garrettwade.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID 5781&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iProductID5781

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?lGen tail&itemID7057&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID7057
You got me there! I saw that page but the brad point part was obscure to me. But there still would be no way they would be HSS at that price. Thanx.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

why the thing about HSS? you need them for one job. after that they will likely sit in a drawer for a few years before you need them again. if they get dull, sharpen 'em.
They may very well be HSS. At this price, there is no doubt that they are Chinese. When you can get Chinese made 115 piece jobbers drill bit sets (HSS) for $30.00, these bits are way expensive in comparison. Plain carbon steel (twist) drill bits are just not very common these days.

me.
AAvK wrote:

Just csme from the library :) where I just happened to see a set in the spring MLCS catalog. At that time they were a sale item, but whether are now, I've no clue...

I went over there and looked. What they have is a five inch extender for their forstner bits.
I ASSume that it would work with other types of bits. I am not sure I would recommend this. You would have to make sure that no unusual lateral forces would be on the extended shank. I supposed if you took it slow and easy, you could get by.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/forsext.htm
Lee Michaels wrote:

The catalog ...rummage, rummage... C-64 p51 shows "7 Piece Extra Long Brad Point Set". Item #9150, Sale Price 14.65, Reg 24.95. 12" long, 1/8" to 1/2" by 1/16".