Exterior Wood Oil

I have 19mm thick - 26cm x 105cm sapele fielded panels on my door frame which will be exposed to the weather.. Any recommendations for achieving a silk finish?

Thanks.

Arthur, in the UK

Reply to
Arthur 51

Sapele is open grain so if you mean physically flat as part of silk, you will need to use grain filler.

Exterior really needs spar varnish. It will usually be glossy. If you mean what is called sat> I have 19mm thick - 26cm x 105cm sapele fielded panels

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Sapele is open grain so if you mean physically flat as part of silk, you will need to use grain filler.

Exterior really needs spar varnish. It will usually be glossy. If you mean what is called satin finish. You can find spar varnish with a satin finish (not sure it's made), or add a flattener, or rub it out with steel wool to desired sheen.

True spar varnish is the last thing you want to use in a high traffic area like an entry door since it never totally cures hard to the touch.

OTOH either true marine varnish or poly are an excellent choice.

Since Arthur is in the UK, suggest he find a marine chandlery and buy either some Epifanes two part poly or straight Epifanes varnish.

Both will contain UV inhibitors which make them good for exterior service.

As "SonomaProducts.com" suggests, don't want a high gloss finish, hit it with some 0000 steel wool after it cures.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett