Exciting times ahead.

Page 2 of 2

A buyer of one of my houses called me last night and wanted some "built-in bookshelves with the quality of work I have in my kitchen" (which Leon and I did).
My response: "Are you sure?"
Ha!
Upshot was that I told him I would send my trim carpenter over there this morning, but if he was really serious about what he originally said, to get a bid from him, add a zero before the decimal point, and we'd possibly take it from there.
That's be the end of that.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

I've been looking as well. The only one I've really come across is close to New Braunfels. It's run by a guy named Darrell Moeller on his ranch. He mostly specializes in cedar, which appears to mostly come from his own property. He's got one of those Wood-Mizer style bandaw type mills. From what I gather, from talking to him, he will do some sawyer type work at about $65 an hour with a minimum of two hours I believe. I believe he's also got some Mesquite laying around too. If any of this is of interest, send me an email and I can pass along the details.
After the big storm last week, I was talking to an arborist, and he was mentioning there's a sawyer somewhere out around Huebner road. He couldn't remember any of the details though--unfortunately.
If you find out some details about where there's local San Antonio saw mills, I'd definitely be interested in knowing more about these places.

remove ".invalid".

I keep thinking that someone at sometime will buy or make one of those band saw mills around here. I know several of the custom furniture makers here in town, and they can't find anything either, even through their guild. There was a small bandsaw mill in Seguin a while back, but I think he is selling his stuff to the mesquite lumber retailer there. The only sawyer I know sells select mesquite (that is all he sells) to a few older customers that are furniture makers. He isn't getting rich, and he doesn't want more customers.
He wouldn't sell anything to me because I wouldn't commit to his 400 bf minimum. Depending on the grade, he gets $7.50 to almost $15 a bf. On the flip side though, he sells mesquite with no windshake, no sap wood, and no hollows. It looks like it came out of a perfect mesquite manufacturing machine. And since it is so rarely that perfect, the furniture guys buy it with just a phone call from him.
Apparently most of the serious furniture makers around here get in their truck and take a trailer out to the different places they like. I know there are a few mills around Austin, a big one in Smithville, and several in Bryan that specialize in mesquite. At $2.75 a gallon, with a 16 ft trailer and a minimum hour drive... I don't want to calculate what that would add to the bf price.
I'll certainly post back here if I find someone in the vicinity.
BTW, where are you?
Robert

I'd be interested in some of that. But not at that kind of minimum. My ballpark would be more like whatever $100-$200 would get me.

I don't have a trailer, but I wouldn't want to drive my old truck all that far either with what gas costs these days. Too bad about that place in Sequin. That wouldn't be a bad trip for me.

Thanks!
Northeast side.

remove ".invalid".

Ditto here! My next door neighbor in Floresville lost some big mesquites on the family ranch in Wilson County. I hope to see them this weekend.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston