Ever had a BS bearing eccentric snap?

While cutting a maple/oak lamination on my Powermatic 14" BS yesterday, I was startled by a loud "thunk" and caught something out of the corner of my eye, skittering across the floor. I shut down immediately to investigate. I soon discovered one of the pairs of lower guide bearings under a cabinet. The eccentric had snapped off. Inside the lower wheel housing was a fairly large, flat wood scrap, which had apparently made it's way through the gap around the blade.

I had no idea that a BS would be susceptible to such damage. So--anyone else seen this? I ordered 2 replacement eccentrics (Under $2 each) so I'll have a spare. I might go the rest of my life without breaking another one, but since shipping is the bulk of the cost... :) The good news in all this is that WMH Toolgroup had the parts in stock.

Dave

Reply to
David

| I had no idea that a BS would be susceptible to such damage. | So--anyone else seen this?

Yes. I nearly did the same thing yesterday myself. I promised myself that I'd make a new insert plate that wouldn't pass anything much larger than a sliver. I don't expect that it'll solve all such problems; but it should minimize the chances for a repeat.

Morris Dovey

That's what I was gonna do before I fire it up again, Morris--make a new insert. I was using the factory plastic, perforated POS with a very wide gap for tilting the table. I tilt it once in a while, and that should be the only time I ever use the factory insert in the future.

Dave

Reply to
David