enough already!! <rant warning

I've spent all day sourcing items I need for a table saw fence I am making, checking prices too.

I had intended to make the rail and rail support from steel but changed to wood when the shipping was much more than the steel. I still needed a 15" piece of 1.25 x 2 angle iron, reasonable enough at $7.06. Add a $2.00 cut charge and the shipping and it was $22+, can't be helped.

Then there was the UHMW facing for the fence. I needed 3/4" x 3" x 48". One place wanted $28.29 for it. Plus a $20 "processing fee" Plus $37.52 for UPS ground. A total of $85.81. No, thank you. I ordered a piece from Peachtree that was an inch wider - I'll cut it off - for $32.97. Adding it to a smaller order I had placed just previously added just $1.00 to the $7.99 shipping for the previous order.

I don't know where the first place is located but I find it insane and hard to believe that ir would cost $37.52 to ship that smallish and light package from anywhere in the US to central Florida.

I would prefer to buy from local merchants but many of the things I need simply aren't available locally. And if they are - and if I can find them - they often charge many times whatt the local stores do. Case in point: I needed some hex drive flat head screws. Local borgs don't have them and their prices for slot or philips drive are 4X what I paid.

Anyway, shipping prices seem to have gone up a lot.

This post serves no purpose, I just felt like venting.

Reply to
dadiOH

contradicting yourself here you mean the locals charge way more than online stores

pull up craigslist free and look for stuff made from metal

but it sounds like you do not want to be doing the cutting so that may not work

shipping prices have gone up recently but considering what you get for the money it is still not a bad deal

some places make the mistake of locking their business into one shipper and so they never check for other prices

usps is very competitive

Reply to
Electric Comet

You are in central Florida. Most large cities (and you have a few there" have steel yards. Why not just check Google, drive over (or have someone pick it up when they to to the city) and get what you need?

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Welcome to the 1820's ... de ja vu all over again.

Reply to
Swingman

I'm happy using wood, my gripe was with shipping cost and "processing fees".

Reply to
dadiOH

The Pony Express might have been cheaper :)

Reply to
dadiOH

"dadiOH" wrote in news:o1f0a1$oh3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

This quote* fits:

"Run, you clever boy. And remember." - Clara Oswald

Puckdropper

*Taken out of context, of course
Reply to
Puckdropper

Much worse living in Hawaii.....

Reply to
GeneT

For shipping, yes indeed. For local availability, not so much. Especially when Lewers & Cooke, HonIron, Kilgo et al were around.

Reply to
dadiOH

I miss Kilgo's. When Eagle Hardware was around they carried a wide variety of products but when Lowes took over it went downhill.

Reply to
GeneT

Kilgo's was a treasure. How is City Mill? Not the equal of Kilgo's but not awful in days of yore. Sheridan Building Supply was small but carried stuff you would never find at a HD/Lowes.

Reply to
dadiOH