Elmers white vs Titebond II.

Well I was running low on Titebond so I switched to some elmers white glue...

I had asked the binaries group long ago what they preferred. Of course I got shot for that. Everyone would rather BS than have a wood working topic...

Anyway, I have some old Elmers and it seems to have a better shelf life than Titebond.. Works longer too. But seems to be just as strong.

Now I know why Frank Klauz uses it.. Whenever I stopped in to his shop he always uses it. I liked the longer working time..

Might have to get a gallon..

I know... its not water resistant or water proof... But mostly I don't need it. And when I do... I'll get a quart...

Reply to
tiredofspam

On 5/26/2012 8:02 PM, tiredofspam wrote: ...

All the actual data show it's marginally less in strength but generally still stronger than the wood in the longitudinal (parallel to the glue line) test--ie, the wood breaks more frequently than the joint fails but the fraction is quite as high as w/ the PVA (polyvinyl acetates) as w/ the aliphatic resins ("carpenter's glues").

For most purposes PVA is adequate. There is a longer open-time Titebond if you need it, btw. Other than when the lower chalk temperature is needed, I tend to use plain ol' yellow glue rather than the more expensive formulations unless again there's a specific need like outside application, say. When using a lot of glue, I bought the Ol' Yeller branded generic from Woodworkders Supply as it used to be significantly cheaper. I noticed the other day that the price differential is significantly less than used to be--hardly would pay the freight over buying local now.

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
tiredofspam

Well, at least you didn't ask about it with a .yenc binary attached. That would've put some into cardiac arrest!

Joe

Reply to
Just Another Joe

tiredofspam wrote in news:Xo6dnRsrQ_KQ4FzSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

I usually wait until Walmart is getting rid of their excess for $.25 a 4 oz bottle. I'll buy a dozen or more at a time then.

I've been doing some disassembly of an old layout, and it looks like the white glue that was used is holding things together quite well. If it works for you, don't let anyone else's opinion stop you.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You are shopping in the wrong place. Titebond ll is under $18/gallon at Lowes, HD, etc. Regular Titebond is even less.

Reply to
dadiOH

Think he's in ballpark for TB-III altho it makes no sense to compare it to white glue; TB-I is not too major a stretch for functional comparison.

Reply to
dpb