Electrical Question Drum Sander AC/DC.

My garage has one 220V and eight 110V outlets. If I operate the Shop Vac, with two or more machines/tools the circuit will trip. I rewired the compressor, table saw, jointer and planer to 220V, this has reduce tripping problems.

Yesterday I tested my new drum sander a 1hp/VAC/10amps with conveyor feed

90VDC/1amp/50watts without loads, the lights in the garage blink momentary. What if I rewire the drum sander motor from 110VDC to 220VAC, will the 90VAC conveyer feed motor go faster, slower or burnt up?

Anyone rewired their drum sander to 220VDC?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
WD

If the feed motor is DC, it must be getting the DC from a conversion somewhere in the sander. I'm not familiar with the setup, but I know you don't have DC anywhere in your garage.

I assume when you typed 220VDC, that was a typo and you meant 220VAC. If you meant DC, you are scaring me and you really need to turn this over to an electrician.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Reply to
Ron Moore

My apology, there is a typo "220vac". The 110v drum motor could rewire to 220v. Has not check the conveyor feed controller box and I believe that's where the rectifier placed. There are no documentation's for rewire to 220v.

I have experience repeated tripping if I operate the bench grinder (10-amp,

3/4hp), shop Vac (10-amp), hand drill with three garage lightings. Operating the drum sander (11-amp) under load with shop Vac and lightings will trip the circuit.

Beside adding a new circuit, do you think it is safe to replace the 15-amp breaker to a 20-amp breaker?

Thank you again.

Reply to
WD

NO! The breaker is sized according to the wiring installed already. Its probably no. 14 wiring. If you swap the breaker, you are allowing the potential for overloading the wiring. 20 amp breaker is normally installed with no. 12 wiring.

It sounds to me like you're a candidate for some more power to the shop. If you go that route, it may not cost you much more to run a larger feed to the shop and install a branch circuit breaker panel for your tools. That would give you ample capacity for anything you want to do.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I am reluctant to add a new 110v and 220v circuits to the garage. I am looking for a ranch house with big basement and open access to the back yard. My wife also needs more space for her sewing activities, we will probably move within a year. The cheapest option is to rewire the conveyer feed motor and I am wondering if anyone had done it.

Thanks

Reply to
WD

is this machine a performax? if so, I don't think it's convertable.

you need to run more wire, and probably upsize your breaker box. it'll cost you less than one good sized woodworking machine, it'll make your life a lot easier and it'll add years to the lives of the machines you have now.

not without the OK of an electrician.

Reply to
bridger

Nop, it's a generic of the old model Performax 16/32.

We are prepared to "suffer" a bit longer. While scrounging in estate's sales I came across very attractive ranch houses with large basement and easy access to the back yard. My garage is too small to accommodate all the machineries (YC 8" jointer, YC 15" planer, Rigid miter saw, 6 CFM compressor, 13" pillar drill, Crapsman TS, Grizzly 14" bandsaw), latest a 16/32 generic drum sander and down the road a wood lathe.

Thanks, in that case I will have to live with it till we move.

Reply to
WD

WD wrote in news:vOWBd.6$ snipped-for-privacy@fe61.usenetserver.com:

If you unplug the ShopVac, and get a 220vac dust collector, the current wiring might suffice. The ShopVac was what was tripping breakers in my shop, when I first started...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch