Electric motor not starting

The motor on my bandsaw makes a purr or moan when the switch is turned on and nothing. If I spin the wheel it runs perfectly. Switch it off and on and the same thing. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
--
Garry Collins
Remove the spamno from my eamill address.

Probably a bad capacitor. I doubt your bandsaw motor has brushes unless it is a very small one.
Jamie
HarryM wrote:

"HarryM" writes:

That would apply to a universal motor (operates on either AC or DC); however, does not apply to either a split phase or capacitor start motor.
--
Lew

Lew Hodgett wrote:

It's also possible that the rotating part of the centrifugal switch has come loose from the shaft and moved away from the circuit board so that it doesn't operate the switch. It's just held on the shaft with one set screw. With the plug out of the wall remove the fan guard and the fan blade from the end of the motor and inspect the cent. switch assy. If your saw is a Grizzley,note that they stock capacitors and cent. switches.
ARM
I had the same problem once with my Jet dust collector. How can you tell where on the shaft the switch should be? I guessed, and it runs, but I was wondering what is the more mechanical way?
Thanks!
: : : : My 6gal/6hp compressor motor would start, then smoke would start coming : out of the capacitor. Seems the startup circuit wasn't disengaging : once the motor had started. : : Took the motor down to a rebuild shop - they disassembled it and found : wasps had built their mud nest around the armature, thus holding the : switch assembly in the closed position. A minor cleanup was all : it needed fortunately, I never left it on long enough to damage the : capacitor or the windings. : : Once I got it back on the compressor, a screen covering over the motor : ends has kept them durn wasps from making my compressor motor a home. : :But the wasps wanted the luxury of a "motor home "
:

Oooh - be careful . . . you could everyone buzzing about this one!
Jums