Electric motor not starting

The motor on my bandsaw makes a purr or moan when the switch is turned on and nothing. If I spin the wheel it runs perfectly. Switch it off and on and the same thing. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Garry Collins

Usually the starting capacitor.

Begin by opening and cleaning out the dust that inevitably collects, reassemble and try. Sometimes its just an alternate path for electricity.

If symptoms persist, remove and replace the starting capacitor.

Reply to
George

Probably a bad capacitor. I doubt your bandsaw motor has brushes unless it is a very small one.

Jamie

HarryM wrote:

Reply to
Jamie Norwood

That would apply to a universal motor (operates on either AC or DC); however, does not apply to either a split phase or capacitor start motor.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's also possible that the rotating part of the centrifugal switch has come loose from the shaft and moved away from the circuit board so that it doesn't operate the switch. It's just held on the shaft with one set screw. With the plug out of the wall remove the fan guard and the fan blade from the end of the motor and inspect the cent. switch assy. If your saw is a Grizzley,note that they stock capacitors and cent. switches.

ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure

I had the same problem once with my Jet dust collector. How can you tell where on the shaft the switch should be? I guessed, and it runs, but I was wondering what is the more mechanical way?

Thanks!

Reply to
ToolMiser

Oooh - be careful . . . you could everyone buzzing about this one!

Jums

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara