Edge planing

Can't find original thread right now, but - - week or three back there was talk of running materials through a portable planer "on edge". Just happened to be thumbing through the May 2003 copy of "Wood" magazine and saw a short article on "Planer Tips and Tricks" that showed doing exactly that, specifically to make several pieces identical width. I know that was mentioned here as well, just thought I'd throw in the article info.