Ebay Router Follow-Up (new X-brand or used Name Brand)

Thanks, all, for your comments on my other recent post. I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear in my question - please excuse me. Let me try and re-state in another way:
Assuming I cannot and will not buy a new, name brand router (as good as they are and as nice as that would be), is it better to buy a new X-brand router for $40 or less, or thould I buy a used, name brand router for $40 or less?
I hope that helps clarify my question. Note again: a new Porter Cable router is not an option, no matter how good the sale is at amazon or HD (unless it's $40 or less). I appreciate your thoughts.
Squank
Under no circumstances would I buy a brand X router on Ebay. It will be a piece of junk, and you will have no possible way to complain; you will simply thow it out within a week. Buying a used router on Ebay for $40 is a crap shoot. It might be okay, or it might be one that has suffered an accident or abuse. But it is a much better bet than a brand X, cause it "might" be okay. (I just bought a used set of hole saws on Ebay for $11 including freight. In the picture it looks like only one was used, so it should be a great buy. But maybe is is fake picture and I am getting screwed; won't know for a few days.)
You should try to find a used router locally; either in the classified or at an auction. Or, if you have a local Harbor Freight, I would buy one there. It will be crude, but will not be actual junk.
Personally, I would wait until I could afford a better one; but that obviously isn't an option for you.

Good info, Toller - thanks. I've been watching the yard sales - at least there I can plug it in and see what happens.
Very good advice indeed. There are honest and dishonest sellers in Ebay, just as there are honest and dishonest buyers. Last year, I bought an Oldham's carbides saw blade and the blade does not look like new as advertised. The seller, immediately send me another one free. After a closer examination, I discovered the saw blade was indeed new, I compensate the seller for his trouble and honestly.

" new Porter Cable router is not an option "
With patience and time it is. It always makes sense to shop around for a really good price. However, it is not allways a good idea to save a few bucks from purchasing a no-name brand when it comes to things such as power tools, where a malfunction can be quite costly.
Given a choice and $40 to spend, I'd rather have a quality hand tool that works well than a crappy power tool whose output is hit or miss any day.
On 26 Jan 2005 07:05:44 -0800, "A.M. Wood"

I agree. If one has $40 to spend, one can find $100. And both the blue and orange borgs are carrying the P-C 690 for $99. Next to an Hitachi M12V for $160 (and I'm not suggesting that in this case), I don't know how one could get more bang for the buck.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
At Harbor Freight, ALWAYS run an electric tool. Quality from one tool to the next (same item) can be great.
I am sorry, I do not know how to say this and not offend you. But a good doze of reality is in order here. If you are unwilling to invest in the tools of the trade and want to spend $40.00 for a router....stop woodworking and find another hobby such as bird watching or picking up cans along the road. Do not tell me that you can afford to own a computer and have web access that you can not afford the hobby of woodworking. A $40 router is a waste of time, material, and money. We are here to help,but you are being penny wise but dollar foolish. Mike
Harsh words, Mike, but in the context of a dose of reality, probably appropriate. Something that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread, though mentioned in many previous threads - the cost of the router itself is only the start. The cost of bits is the real investment cost to get anything at all out of a router. If the "break the bank" number is $40, there's nothing left to spend on bits to even make the first cut.
Bob
No offense taken at all, Mike. I appreciate your frank honesty.
I'm just gathering some information here, and I'm learning a lot from you guys (and gals, if appropriate). Your comments are all very helpful. Thanks.
On 26 Jan 2005 09:03:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com wrote:

hey, he may get lucky and pick up a used router for that money. stranger things have happened....

libraries are free and have internet access

hey charles you at the library now?
Mike

no. can you look over your shoulder and see if the OP is?
heck I do not know what day of the week it is...I sort of live in my own little world...it is a small world but a happy world.... thanks to Eli Lilly and drug company........I have good news and bad news: First the bad news: I am on Prozack .................... the good news? I own 3000 shares of Lilly stock....happily going nutts here in Indiana
Mike

I hope you included some funds in your budget for router bits, of which even a basic collection will end up costing far more than your $40 limit.
If I was you, I'd find some way to cut back and save $5 a week or so. Go without hot water if you have to (just kidding). But try to save a little on food or something. Continue until you get around $100 or so.
I agree that you are much better off putting off this project for a few months. If $40 is all you have to spend on a router, it's going to be darn frustrating to have a big stake in a piece of crap.
My suggestion... and I'm sticking with your financial criteria... would be to look for a used, brand-name unit. If you buy on eBay, check the seller's feedback. Look for someone who has as close to a 100% rating as possible on at least 20 sales if not more.
The benefit of buying a name brand like PC is that you can get it serviced, get parts, whatever. For the Hong Kong knockoff,,, you'll be laughed at if it breaks down and you bring it into a tool repair place.
I understand your situation, and while some folks would rather have a high-quality whatever, many of the sweaty masses make do with hand-me-downs, tag sale tools, or used eBay stuff. We'd all like to have Unisaws in our shops, but the majority of America's home workshops probably have Craftsman or maybe Ryobi table saws, and you know what... they cut wood too.